This is free upgrade to:
1) All users of free Lite version
2) Users of paid Unlimited version who purchased license any time in 2019 or 2020. For example, if you purchased in March 2019 and your existing version tells in About box that you have free updates until March 2020, then disregard what you see in About box, this 2020.10.1 version will work as complimentary free upgrade to any license issued in 2019 or 2020. If you have older license then this new version will work as limited Lite version, which can be upgraded to Unlimited version by purchasing discounted upgrade license.
- Security update: When sensitive data is copied to clipboard it is now excluded from Windows clipboard history. Background: In Windows 10 there is clipboard history enabled by default. That means everything you copy to clipboard is logged by Windows. You can access history by pressing Win + V on keyboard. Please note that clipboard is not a safe place to put your sensitive data as other programs can freely monitor it. Always try to use autofill whenever possible, instead of copy & paste.Improved autofill matching: When multiple items match web site link then PA prompts to select item to autofill from. Now if you send password separately after sending user ID, the prompt is not displayed and PA sends password of the item you selected to send user ID from.
- Added detection of new Chromium based Miscrosoft Edge browser. When autofilling to new Edge, PA will now detect if Edge has automatic sign-in enabled and will suggest to turn it off to prevent invalid user ID/password being entered.
- Improved item icons.
- Improved text search by toolbar search box: now if you type multiple words in search box, items matching all these words will be displayed (AND search), not only item matching exact typed phrase. So searching for "id card" will also match "ID-card", not only exact "ID card".
- Added keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+PageUp/PageDown to navigate to previous/next file tab. In addition you can switch to certain file by Ctrl+F1/F9.
- Security change: Default length of generated passwords is now 16 instead of 20 symbols, but by default other non-character symbols are also included. This will take effect only when you have not saved your own default settings for new passwords. You can change these settings in Password Generator window to your liking.
- Added "Open destination folder" button to TakeWithMe window, results page.
- Removed "Print as graphics" options as it was not much more secure than ordinary printing. Windows stores print jobs in plain text spool files and contents of these files is easily viewable using special utilities.
- Improved message boxes: revised messages and message boxes are now positioned at center of the parent form, not center of the screen.
- Fixed: Default time in "Selected password expire time" popup window is now "0:00" instead of current time. Also, any expire times you set from popup menu (templates) are now 1 day longer, as calculation starts from midnight.
- Fixed autofill matching to some popup windows, where PA was unable to detect URL of page.
- Fixed oversized list box items in Customize toolbar window in HighDPI mode and other HighDPI improvements.
- Fixed condition where currently selected item was unselected in items list when moving program window from one monitor to other monitor with different DPI.
- Fixed condition where older .old files were not deleted after reducing .old files count via settings.
- Numerous other smaller fixes and changes.
This release is free update if your license key was purcased on or after June 28, 2018. If you have older license key, then the program runs as Lite version which allows you to access your existing data but you cannot add new items. If you have older license key you can purcase upgrade for about 50% discount (http://www.moonsoftware.com/store). You can also test this new version and if you don't like it you can uninstall it and re-install your current version.
- New crisp Office 2019 style toolbar icons, item images etc. Please note that graphcs is still work in progress and final set of item images is not yet completed.
- Improved usability of main program window, live splitters to re-size panels etc.
- Added per-monitor high resolution display (High DPI) support. User interface is scaled according to resolution of monitor Password Agent is displayed on.
- Added support to drag & drop text fields as alternative to autofill. To transfer contents of text field you can drag & drop field from item detail panel to web browser edit box. That is more secure than using copy & paste through clipboard and also more secure than autofill, which can be logged by key loggers.
- Introduced color labels instead of item image colors. Color count reduced to 7 main colors to make the software easier to use.
- Autofill to new Chromium-based Microsoft Edge browser.
- You can now re-arrange file tabs by dragging with the mouse if you have multiple files open simultaneously.
- Added option "Shade alternate rows", which can be set for each view separately using view editor (View | Customize current view). This makes it possible to have items list like in legacy Password Agent 1 & 2.
- Added command File | Revert to .old file which allows reverting to older data file version. This command becomes visible only when you have opened and unlocked an .old file (these file versions are automatically created on each file modification).
- Added option to invoke actions like copy to clipboard, open link, etc just by double-clicking specific field in items list. No need to open item details pane or right-click item to display context menu. For example, to copy Password or Note to clipboard you can just double-click on password or note in items list. Double-clicking on link will open the link, double-clicking on title will toggle item details pane etc. For this to work, set option "Double-clicking item will" value to "Do field specific action (copy value, open link etc.)".
- Added optional "Sort by" toolbar button which you can make visible thourgh "View | Customize toolbar" command. In addition, "Sort by" submenu is now also accessible through item list header context menu.
- Added possibility to sort by Color tag.
- Added optional Attachment column and possibility to sort by Attachment size. You can also make Attachment column visible by view editor (View | Customize current view).
- Added import from generic CSV format.
- Added import from Chrome CSV format. First passwords need to be exported from Chrome in CSV format, which is not as straightforward as it could be. Do web search for "chrome export csv" for help.
- Added import from KeePass 2.x XML format. Folder structure and items including custom strings and file attachments are imported.
- Improved XML export. Now exports also attachments.
- Added command File | Change file ID to allow changing file ID in case you use multiple files that were copies of each other at one point. Copy and paste between such files did not work in previous versions.
- Changed keyboard shortcuts. To switch between file tabs press Ctrl+1..9 (previously Ctrl+F1..F12), this makes tab switching shortcut the same as in major web browsers. Due to that change Alternative View shortcut is now Alt+1 (previously Ctrl+1) and Unmask shortcut is Alt+2 (previously Ctrl+2).
- Improved drag & drop, which can be cancelled by pressing right mouse button during dragging.
- Taskbar icon now shows "key" overlay when any of open files is unlocked, not only when selected file is unlocked.
- Fixed: When field in item properties panel was in edit mode and another item was clicked in items list, properties panel kept showing data from previously selected item.
- Fixed: Potential autofill plain text leak to process memory.
- Fixed annoying system beep when pressing Return/Enter after editing text in items details panel.
- Fixed: Options were not saved on Windows shutdown.
- Fixed: For new items based on template and items made with Duplicate command or copy & paste, value of Date Added field was not set to current date, but was copied from original item.
- Fixed: Last modified time of any folder was always set to current time on file load, instead of maintaining original last modified time.
- Fixed: Attachments list not scrolling on mouse wheel.
- Fixed: Copy & paste between 2 different files failed when these files were copies of the same file at one point.
- Fixed: TakeWithMe window displayed wrong error message "Multiple selected data files have the same file name" instead of "Failed to find drive letter by label".
- Many other fixes and improvements.
- File format in this release is not changed, so previous 2017+ versions can read files saved by this version.
- Installer and program files have digital signatures (version 2017.12.20 was not signed). Please note that after installing this update About box still shows program version 2017.12.20, program functionality has not been changed. It is recommended to install the update anyway as running un-signed programs may cause issues with anti-virus software.
- Fixed autofill matching failure to aquire web page URL from new Chrome browser.
- Fixed: Print function printted items from Trash folder when "All items" option is selected.
- Password field in item details pane was not painted using password font when editing password.
- License key file for all users is now stored in %PROGRAMDATA%\Moon Software\Password Agent folder (previously in the registry). Current user's license key remains in %APPDATA%\Moon Software\Password Agent. See topic "Where is my license key stored?" in documentation for more details.
2016.6.1 (initial release of version 3)
This new version is completely re-written and contains many changes, of which only major ones are listed here. Version 2 was released in 2002, so it has offered you solid service for 14 years! Not many software packages offer such long service.
Starting with this release I'll use new approach to releasing updates. There will be no more major updates like jump from version 2 to 3 – both small and big updates will be released as more frequent updates. That also makes moving from one version to the next less painless as there are less changes between versions. I will try to release monthly updates, but critical bug fixes immediately, if required. Your license includes 365 days of free updates, so you'll get any updates, small and big for one year.
Major new features in version 3:
- Improved security. Data is kept in memory fully encrypted, like as on disk (in version 2 data was scrambled in memory but not encrypted). During normal viewing/browsing mode there is no moment in time where multiple fields of item are decrypted into plain at the same time. That minimizes possibility of plain text leak via memory dump or swap file. Item fields are decrypted one at a time only when needed to be drawn on screen. The same also in item details panel. Instead of putting all fields into edit mode at the same time, you can now only edit one field at time. That may first seem uncomfortable but is much more secure as if you capture program memory at time of editing item fields, you can possibly only capture contents of one decrypted field being edited, not all fields of the item.
For key derivation PBKDF2 with SHA2-256 is used, the old version did not use key stretching. Now you can also switch to alternative Twofish encryption cipher if desired. File contents is now authenticated before decrypting to detect file tampering and corruption. In addition, a serious bug in implementation of encryption was found in code base of version 2. That bug reduces security of files saved with version 2.
For all the reasons listed above it is highly recommended to migrate to version 3 of Password Agent. This is critical security update for anyone using any older version.
- Full Unicode application. Now all text fields are support Unicode character encoding, so text can be in any language.
- Autofill matching item. New Autofill matching item function can detect link from current web browser window, automatically find corresponding item and autofill from it. There is no need to first select the item to autofill from in Password Agent. You can work in web browser and when you need to login, just press global Autofill matching item shortcut key and voila, Password Agent that runs on the background retrieves current link from web browser, finds matching item in your data file and sends autofill text to browser. No web browser plug-ins are used. See topic “Autofill matching item (new in version 3)” on page 27.
- Two different fully user customizable items list views. Each view can display 1-3 lines of text about each item. If you liked compact 1-line items list view of version 2 more than the new default 2-line view in version 3 then you can press Alternative view button on toolbar to change view. To customize current view further choose View | Customize.
- You can now open multiple files simultaneously. If more than one file is open you see tab for each file to switch between files. You can also switch to different file from keyboard by pressing [Ctrl]+[F1..F9] or [Alt]+[F1..F9]. If more than one file is open then autofill function fills from currently selected file. You can copy and paste items and groups between files in fully secure manner, no plain text is stored in clipboard during such operations.
- New password generator with policies. Uses cryptographically secure random number generator. You can create named policies which are saved inside data file.
- Now you can attach external files to items. That is meant for adding only small files like license or key files and not for encrypting external large files like photos, because all attachments are always kept in memory and are embedded in data file.
- Template items. Items in Templates folder can be used as templates for new items. When you create new item based on template then all properties of template item are inherited. New item is a copy of template item, except title. See topic “Template items” on page 21.
- Now you can choose from hundreds of item icons, plus you can also change icon background color for each item separately. To change item icon first display item properties (double-click item) and then press button that displays item icon.
- Items list allows selecting multiple items at time, so you can select multiple items to copy, move, delete, print etc.
- To offer better portability, program settings are stored in .INI file instead of registry. Settings are stored in user's roaming profile in %APPDATA%\Moon Software\Password Agent folder.
- Native 64-bit version is also included.
- Support for high DPI monitors (200+ DPI).
- Compatibility with upcoming mobile version.