Last chance to send in your feature requests
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1053 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2009 :  00:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Version 2 of Backup Magic is taking shape and now is last chance to send in your feature requests.
New version will be much more powerful, is task based, can do more tasks besides copying files like exporting registry keys to files, start/stop programs/services, much more variables, compress into single or multiple ZIP archives, inheritable options for each group, drive letter detection by label-type-serial-file, exclude files based on attributes, Unicode file names etc etc.

Everyone who has purchased Backup Magic 1 in 2009 will receive free upgrade to version 2, once released.

rceubank

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2009 :  18:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea when Backup Magic 2.0 will be ready?
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1053 Posts

Posted - 26 August 2009 :  21:47:32  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Something will hopefully be available later this year.
Go to Top of Page

unnamed

17 Posts

Posted - 17 November 2009 :  08:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"copy only from the disk labeled:"
Go to Top of Page

kriskumar

2 Posts

Posted - 07 January 2010 :  05:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like the ability to copy backup back to original folders.

Explanation:
Right now, I have set up BM to copy the My Documents folder to folders: D:\BM\MYDOCS_2009_12_01, D:\BM\MYDOCS_2009_12_02, etc.

Off and on, I have to recover the C: drive.
To do this, I restore the C: drive from an Acronis True Image.

I then copy the latest BM folder back to the C: drive with the usual click and drag from D: to C: drive.

It would be nice to be able to this last step with BM.

I know..I know...it seems lazy on my part. But, I have to recover the C: drive very often since I test a lot of new software on it for my clients.

If it cannot be done...no big deal. I have used BM and Password Agent for years. Thanks for great software.
Go to Top of Page

MattsB

2 Posts

Posted - 26 June 2010 :  13:16:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When will Backup Magic 2.0 be released?
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1053 Posts

Posted - 30 June 2010 :  11:36:28  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MattsB

When will Backup Magic 2.0 be released?

Can't tell exactly when but I'm quietly working on it. New version is much more complicated as it is multi-threaded, however I have done first tests with multi-threaded zipping and it is worth the effort. I'm aware it comes too slowly but I'm working on it.

Ahto
Go to Top of Page

charliek

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 01 July 2010 :  01:42:48  Show Profile  Visit charliek's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In the new version of Backup Magic I'd like to see a Restore option that would reverse the backup group. This would be helpful after installing a new hard drive, etc. It would be nice to be able to select one or more or all groups to restore.
Go to Top of Page

Crisp

2 Posts

Posted - 04 August 2010 :  23:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Concerning the new version: What might be helpful, when having a more complex backup job or other sources for uncertainity, would be a possibility to preview the job before it is actually run.
Go to Top of Page

HwyStar

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 11 January 2011 :  00:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please add the ability to disable the popups if there have been any errors during a backup.
Go to Top of Page

MattsB

2 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2011 :  16:05:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any idea when Backup Magic 2 will be released? I am still using Backup Magic 1.6 on daily basis, but an update on functionality would be awesome ;) Keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1053 Posts

Posted - 27 August 2011 :  17:35:21  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope to get early beta out in 2 months from now. Progress has been much slower than expected but I'm certain final product will be very good. It is quite strange to see how fast years go by if I read my older posts from few years ago.

I started using unit tests to guarantee quality and avoid/minimize bugs. So far have about 90 tests that automatically test if options work as expected etc, but I guess in total there will be at least twice as much. Basically writing another program to test if BM works properly and it is very time consuming. But this time investment really helps with quality as bugs quite often pop up. I seriously suggest to study unit testing for every developer who has not been using it so far.

One thing may be that I'm making things too complicated and only small amount of users will benefit from say inheritable options (each source can have different options or can inherit one or all optins from parent or backup set) or multi-threading. But time will tell...
Go to Top of Page

mike@hemistoya.com

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2011 :  20:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please make Backup Magic fully 64-bit compatible (Win Srv 2008 and Win 7).

Also, please don't break its powerful data recovery ability. It read all (many thousands) except one or two files from my failing HDD, whereas other file copy software could only recover less than a thousand files!

Michael Bassell
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1053 Posts

Posted - 12 November 2011 :  22:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, new version will come in form both native 32 and 64-bit executables. There is screenshot of new version here:

http://www.moonsoftware.com/files/beta/Copiaris.png

Registered users can request to get notified about early beta availablility. I sent out news yesterday.

Ahto

quote:
Originally posted by mike@hemistoya.com

Please make Backup Magic fully 64-bit compatible (Win Srv 2008 and Win 7).

Also, please don't break its powerful data recovery ability. It read all (many thousands) except one or two files from my failing HDD, whereas other file copy software could only recover less than a thousand files!

Michael Bassell

Go to Top of Page

Laurent2222

1 Posts

Posted - 23 December 2011 :  06:28:23  Show Profile  Visit Laurent2222's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After over 2 years of development, it looks like Backup Magic suffered from the Netscape 6 syndrome (i.e. being unnecessarily rewritten from scratch).

I've been using Backup Magic for years and it's always been nearly perfect for my needs - it probably just needed a few tweaks like 64-bits and Unicode support. I'm pretty sure I won't get the brand new version because I doubt it will be as stable, lightweight and fast as the previous one and I'll have to learn a new interface for basically no benefits. Too bad, as it means the great version 1.x will never get the small improvements it needed.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1053 Posts

Posted - 23 December 2011 :  09:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Laurent,

How do you know the new version 2 is not as stable and fast as previous? Yes, it has much more features and is somewhat more complicated and is is bigger, but it gives the program great flexibility that perhaps you don't need but many others appreciate. And I'm least interested in releasing bloatware and unstable software...

Ahto
Go to Top of Page

Forrest

Singapore
5 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  16:10:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is v2 ready? I need to buy some licenses and will happily buy 1.6x --- from what I read here, I may be better off staying with the old version. Can I get a copy of the beta v2?
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1053 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2012 :  18:38:41  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See main web page, news section about Copiaris which I released few days ago (pre-release).

Ahto
Go to Top of Page

dwmichaels

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  06:23:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would like to get the beta copy of BM - just setting it up again and would love to test it out since none of my scheduled tasks will transfer.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1053 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2012 :  10:28:20  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can download new Copiaris from Download section. Scheduled tasks will not transfer to new version automatically since they were set up manually in Task Scheduler. You currently need to set them up for Copiaris manually as well, if you want to schedule tasks.

Ahto
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000