Windows Home Server
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chunkyb2002

1 Posts

Posted - 21 February 2008 :  01:30:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Was going to e-mail you but since you seem to encourage forum posting I shall :)

I have built my own Windows Home Server, but am also paranoid about data loss, even though the home server has file duplication I have other NAS appliances that were sitting idle that I wanted a solution to backup to incrementally. its taken me a while but I stumbled across your site and the awesome Backup Magic, which I am still evaluating for use with WHS. If things go according to plan, I will be purchasing within the next week or so a full license.

Before I do so though, I was wondering if you could share the underlying theory behind it with me, is it doing anything complicated with the file system or simply copying files with midification tags newer than that on the destination?

I ask because the filesystem on WHS is a little screwy, basically all that is kept on the primary data drive are NTFS Tombstone files, which reference the actual data stored on other drives as "shadow" files. (more information on the technical detail of that can be found in the enthusiast section of the Microsoft Windows Home Server website)

There is a known issue with manipulation of data on the home server (in my case the Windows Home Server box) become corrupt if it is manipulated by quite a few applications.

So really what I am asking is whether Backup Magic manipulates the files in any way other than copying them?

Thanks,
Chunkyb2002

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 21 February 2008 :  12:31:43  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
So really what I am asking is whether Backup Magic manipulates the files in any way other than copying them?

BM just copies files using Windows API, is does not access your disk at low level. Actually BM knows nothing about different file systems, it just sees if file in desination is different to source and then copies it (or by archive attribute, if set up that way).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000