Send in your feature requests for the next version
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 25 August 2002 :  08:57:55  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are currently working on new version 2 of Font Xplorer and your feedback and feature requests are much appreciated. The next version will have support for Type 1 fonts (display only), improved OpenType support and built in font grouping.

If there is anything you don't like in the current version or would like to see any other features not provided, feel free to post reply or e-mail your suggestions to support@moonsoftware.com .

Thanks!

Ahto

jakob

1 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2003 :  11:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hallo Ahto,

my answer is a few months later than your question but maybe not too late. Judging by the demo you have made a wonderful program: fast, informative and clearly arranged. I like it very much. Plenty of frills but no fuss :-)

Support for browsing Type 1 fonts (not just those that are installed) is a much needed addition (for me essential) and would be excellent. It would be nice to be able to see info about kerning, codepage etc. too, also about available OpenType features if any, now that many foundries are producing their fonts on OTF format, though not always exploiting the OpenType features.

Would it be possible to create one's own sample pages? Yours are already pretty good compared to other programs but I often find I either don't need to know everything or I want to know more than the standard 'waterfall sample'. For instance it is nice to be able to compare a few typefaces per page with a quick text sample and heading, perhaps bold and italic, a list of key glyphs (a-z and figures etc. plus for instance is the euro included, does it have old-style figures or ligatures...). That would be ideal when trying to find the right combination of text faces.

Running the risk of becoming greedy, I would like to suggest the possibility of an additional feature or an add-on or partner program for cataloguing one's burgeoning typeface collection stored on online or offline volumes (CD, zip-disk etc.). As far as I know there are not so many programs for this but an ever increasing need for it. WhereIsIt can catalogue file names and parse information out of TTFs (copyright, full name etc.) but not from Type 1 or OTF fonts so it doesn't find fonts in the 8.3 filename format which many manufacturers still use. Advanced Font Catalog (fontutilities.com or wizetech.de) is a step in the right direction but can't catalogue Type 1 or OTF formats AFAIK. Therefore it would be nice if it could parse information out of the pfb/pfm and otfs (the info is in plain text in the .afm files but often there are no accompanying .afm files) for cataloguing. A quick search function (perhaps as direct link from the start-menu/symbol bar without having to open the program and choose search) would be great and the ability to then preview directly in fontxplorer from the search results would be excellent (preferably also the ability to compare two previews). That would really streamline workflow.

Maybe I'm asking too much or you are already finalising the next version. One way or the other, good luck with the forthcoming version! Please don't be tempted to go the 'colourful' window-filling overladen way other font browsers are going. It's just great when it's fast and simple.

thank you for listening!

jakob
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 27 March 2003 :  15:09:42  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your suggestions, Jakob. All suggestions and ideas are welcome!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000