Backup Magic
 Backups with WinXP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

scelli

3 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2002 :  23:03:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since upgrading my OS to WinXP Professional, I am having a problem doing backups with Backup Magic. With my old Win95 OS, when I did the backups to my CD-RW, there was no problem with the program adding/deleting/updating files to mirror exactly what the folder breing backed up had. Since usually the majority of the files hadn't changed at all since the last backup, the backup was quick and effecient. Now however, when I do a backup, the program isn't reading something properly and proceeds to back up ALL the files in the folder again to the CD-RW and seems to be ignoring the fact that most haven't changed.
In the settings, I've checked the option to allow the backup to read the time stamp on the file as tech support suggested this may alleviate the problem. But it hasn't worked and I'm still experiencing the problem. I'm using the 1.51 version of the program.
Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a fix to it? The backups are still done, by the way, but it takes far longer to do them and I'd love to get back to where Backup Magic was functioning before my OS upgrade.
Thanks!

scelli

3 Posts

Posted - 02 August 2002 :  23:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry if I may not have been clear on my previous post, but I have tried both checking and unchecking the option in "Settings" that reads:

"Use archive attributes to detect changed files, not timestamp"

I've run my backups both ways and still have the problem I described.

Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2002 :  05:35:33  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

"Use archive attributes to detect changed files, not timestamp"

This is the fix. First time when you select this option, all files will be copied because they have their archive attributes set. Then archive attributes will be cleared. Next time only these files that have archive attributes set will be copied.
So try this setting, then run your backup set 2 times in row. Second time it should copy only modified files.

Ahto

Go to Top of Page

scelli

3 Posts

Posted - 03 August 2002 :  13:25:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, but that still doesn't do it. I cleared my CD-RW disc completely of any files and started fresh, doing a backup of a folder that had 335 mgs. The backup worked fine and the files were copied. I immediately did another back up, and NO files should have been copied (as nothing had changed) and the backup should have only taken seconds.
Instead, it started to copy 153 mgs of files. A third attempt did the same thing.
Something is apparently not reading properly, but I just don't know what it is and where the fault lies.
Any more thoughts? I did upgrade to the 1.52 version, by the way.

Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 04 August 2002 :  09:51:37  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You may try to copy to another folder/disk, just change target from CD-R to a local/remote folder. Just to see if it works OK without CD-R. If it does, then the propblem is somehow associated with CD-R (software), but still have no glue what may cause the problem.

Ahto

Go to Top of Page

pgaryncf

3 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2002 :  01:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having the same problem. I am running Windows XP Home edition with Back Up Magic version 1.53. When I do a back up using time-date stamp (mirror or incremental) it backs up fine the first time. With no changes made to the files backed up, when I back up subsequent times it still backs up files that have not changed. I do not know how it is determining what files to back up except that it appears to be changing the date accessed on some of the files. If I try the same thing using the archive attributes everything seems to work properly (incremental only). Unchanged files are not backed up. Since I am using the program to synchronize my data files between two computers I want to use the time-date stamp and not the archive attribute. Any ideas as to why the program wants to back up unchanged files?? I have tried it copying files both to another hard drive and to my CD-RW with the same results.

Thanks,
Gary
Go to Top of Page

andy

2 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2002 :  08:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am running Windows XP Pro and I just downloaded and installed Backup Magic 1.5.3 based on a friend's recommendation (who is running Win98SE). I have the same problem mentioned in this thread, while backing up to the CDRW drive using packet-writing software such as DirectCD. But if I run the same backup set with the hard drive as destination, there are no problems. I think it must be something to do with the packet-writing software such as DirectCD. I am not a technical person, so I shall let the brainy ones figure out what is wrong.
Go to Top of Page

pgaryncf

3 Posts

Posted - 09 October 2002 :  22:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the problem whether I am writing to the CD-RW or to another Hard Disk Drive.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 11 October 2002 :  05:17:55  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, the packet-writing drivers may not record file date with the same resolution than your source file, so they may look different to BM.
Later today I'll upload version 1.6 of BM. It does not have any major new features but has updated help documentation and contains also printable user's mnual in PDF format. FAT vs NTFS, archive attributes, scheduling and such problems are discussed in the new help in more detail.

Ahto
Go to Top of Page

andy

2 Posts

Posted - 15 October 2002 :  06:40:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So does it mean Backup Magic is NOT compatible with packet-writing software such as DirectCD? The program description at your site says that it is compatible with DirectCD.

>Yes, the packet-writing drivers may not record file date with the >same resolution than your source file, so they may look different >to BM.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 15 October 2002 :  09:32:53  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can use archive attribute option if you have problems with the usual method.

Ahto
Go to Top of Page

robson

6 Posts

Posted - 15 October 2002 :  11:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This sounds very much like my previously posted problem with Win2000.
I have tried the archive bit setting without effect.
I have also tried using a test dest ( my usual one is another system - Win 98). I have the same problem copying to a local folder.

With these reports I am beginning to wonder if it is an issue with the new BM version itself. I did not have this before I upgraded to 1.5.3. Unfortunately for me, I also upgraded the OS at the same time.

I am tempted to go back to 1.5.1 which was working fine.

Edited by - robson on 15 October 2002 12:57:55
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 16 October 2002 :  11:52:30  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The problem is that different file systems store file time in different resolution, so file last modified date may differ 2 seconds between source and destination. Backup Magic think the file is updated because it has different last modified date. The date becomes different when copied to a different file system. Next time you run your backup again, the file is copied again even not modified (because it's last mod date is different in target).

Since lately this has become important issue, I decided to work around this problem. I'm considering changing BM not to update files if their date difference is few seconds, thus resolving this problem automatically. However, this may introduce new problem where files that actually are updated very quickly are not copied. I'll investigate the problem some more and will say my solution in few days.

Ahto
Go to Top of Page

robson

6 Posts

Posted - 17 October 2002 :  06:11:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Timestamp differences between different systems may account for part of this problem but it still exists even if I use the archive flag setting.
I tried several things last evening. My results were as follows:
Environment
* Backup Magic versions 1.40, 1.5.1, 1.53
* source system OS Win 2000
* dest system OS Win 98
Results
* using timestamps, a subset of unchanged source files were consistently copied on backup
* the vast majority of files were treated correctly using timestamps
* these results were consistent across BM versions
* using archive bit in 1.5.1 and 1.5.3, a different, but consistent set of unchanged files were copied
* when I changed my backup destination to a folder local on my Win 2000 system, the behaviour changed slightly
- timestamp backup behaved incorrectly as above
- archive bit backup worked correctly

Whatever approach you take, please account for these findings and return my BM function to that fast, reliable, correct tool that it was. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 17 October 2002 :  07:15:44  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I need to repeat here once again that BM works as it worked in earlier versions. The "copies all files every time" issue has been in all version of BM, but it is most visible in systems that has NTFS file system, like NT/2000/XP.

For now I have almost finished addressing this issue and new version 1.6.1 will include workaround for this problem (it will treat files that have last modified time difference up to 2 seconds as equal). If anyone wants to test early version of the update please download this new executable file:

http://www.moonsoftware.com/files2/bmagic.zip

Don't forget to disable archive attribute option! And of course please let me know if that solves the peoblem or not.

If you are copying to CD-R(W) using DirectCD under Windows XP, you'll also need to enable the new "Update destination file's last modified time" option, because DirectCD will change your file modified dates to current date. This seems to be a bug of DirectCD and does not happen on Win9x. If you don't enable this option, all files will be copied every time, not only updated files.

Ahto
Go to Top of Page

robson

6 Posts

Posted - 20 October 2002 :  19:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried your test version, made sure the 'use archive attributes' was unchecked and ran it against my test and production backups.
Both sets of backups appeared to work the way I would expect. The unchanged file backup problem seems to be gone. I will continue to use the new 1.6.1 test version and let you know if future results are any different than this.
Looks good so far - thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 23 October 2002 :  19:15:58  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The official 1.6.1 version is now available.
Go to Top of Page

awosha1

1 Posts

Posted - 18 April 2003 :  19:00:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still having the problem with the BM 1.6 version. I'm using XP and backing up the whole My-Documents folder (over 11,000 documents) to my network. I backup to 3 different networked computers. The same 348 files always get backed up and are never changed. Again this is with the new 1.6 version that I downloaded last night.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 18 April 2003 :  21:31:30  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
See the documentation for possible workarounds.
Go to Top of Page

nike1255

1 Posts

Posted - 28 March 2006 :  20:00:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robson

This sounds very much like my previously posted problem with Win2000.
I have tried the archive bit setting without effect.
I have also tried using a test dest ( my usual one is another system - Win 98). I have the same problem copying to a local folder.

With these reports I am beginning to wonder if it is an issue with the new BM version itself. I did not have this before I upgraded to 1.5.3. Unfortunately for me, I also upgraded the OS at the same time.

I am tempted to go back to 1.5.1 which was working fine.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000