Options lost between sessions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gadasch

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2002 :  22:23:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just purchased Password Agent. Can't get it to remember changes to options settings across sessions. When I reopen the file for the next session, the options settings are reset to the default. What am I doing wrong?

Product is running under Windows XP Pro.

Thanks.

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  09:08:00  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please e-mail your system information (Help | Copy system information) to support@moonsoftware.com

Do you mean program options under Tools | Options?

Ahto

Go to Top of Page

gadasch

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  10:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Tools/Options. The settings are reset to default after the end of the session, on all of the tabs I've tried. I keep changing the settings on the "General 1" tab, in particular, and they only remain in effect for the duration of the session.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  10:31:05  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Since you also have admin rights, the only idea I have is that the program somehow crashes when you close it, so it is not able to wrote settings to the registry (actually hard to believe). I assume you close the Options dialog by pressong the OK button, not by the X close button? You can explore the registry with the registry editor and see if the program updates settings in the registry on exit. If so, then the problem is associated with reading. Also there may be problem with your registry.

Registry settings are under HKCU/Moon Software/Password Agent/2.0

Ahto

Go to Top of Page

gadasch

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  12:48:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Actually, it's HKCU/Software/Moon Software/Password Agent/2.0

The Registry entries are there, but they are not being updated when the program is closed. Yes, I am pressing the OK button, as evidenced by the fact that option changes are in effect while the program is running. It's whenever I close the program that they revert back.

No evidence that the program is crashing. No other evidence of anything wrong with the Registry. I never say never, but I would be very surprised if it were Registry corruption. PA is simply failing to update the Registry for some reason when it is closed.

What else can I tell you? Only other thoughts I have on things that might be relevant are that the PWA file lives in a folder that has the EFS attribute. And my Temp folder lives in a nonstandard location (not on the system drive but in a separate partition (T:) that I set aside for temporary files).

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  13:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try deleting the entire Password Agent registry branch. Maybe it has got some permissions that does not allow PA to update the key.

Ahto

Go to Top of Page

gadasch

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  14:48:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well okay, I did that. In fact, I completely uninstalled the product and reinstalled it. Twice. Now things are actually worse.

Whereas before, there WAS a copy of the options in the Registry, now it is NOT there. A new tree was created, but the only entries are under Password Agent/2.0/Settings, which includes keys and values for LastOpenDir, LastSaveDir, PropertiesWindowHeight, and PropertiesWindowWidth. No other entries at all, even after opening and closing the program several times and changing some options.

Can't think where there would be any permissions that would affect it. I did confirm in the Task Manager that the app is running under my user name.

As a point of interest... I also have Font Explorer installed. Its Registry tree is right above the Password Agent tree. The options settings on Font Explorer are working fine and staying put when I close the app (I just tested it again to confirm). So something is different in the way Password Agent and Font Explorer are handling their respective Registry updating. FX works, PA does not.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

gadasch

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  15:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correction. The complete list of options just reappeared in the Registry, so they are back now. Can't account for where they were before. I was opening/closing Regedit and using Refresh and everything. Anyway, somehow they just reappeared after I closed PA this last time.

So now we are back to the original problem. Options changes are still not remembered from one session to the next. But, at least, the keys are back in the Registry.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  16:46:03  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not happy to say that, but I tend to guess there is something up with your system. Have not received any other such complaint. If you have other programs running, try shutting down as much you can, just for testing. Hard to believe but maybe some kind of "crash protection" or antivirus software is "working".

If you think you can't use the software I can process refund.

Ahto

Go to Top of Page

gadasch

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  18:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmmm.. not very likely. I don't run any crash protection software and standard Norton A/V 2002 for Virus. Problem happens even with Norton disabled.

No, not looking for a refund at this point. I like the software and want to see it working properly. I will try to do some more diagnosis here and see if I can come up with a smoking gun. For the time being, if I have to, I can set my options manually with regedit ;-)

Gary
Go to Top of Page

gadasch

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  21:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, Ahto, I played around a little more. I think I have pretty much ruled out some uniqueness on my system.

I went to another computer which has a dual-boot Windows 2000 and Windows XP configuration. The Windows XP on that machine is a brand new (clean) installation of XP Pro with very little software on it as yet. I installed PA on both operating systems and it failed the same way on both. It is simply not updating the Registry when it closes. On the XP system, I was even logged on as Administrator, so I can't imagine a problem with permissions.

This, of course, does not rule out operator error or operator stupidity, but I really can't imagine what I could be doing wrong.

The version of PA I'm running is 2.1.1, your latest, I believe. Is it possible that this new version introduced a bug? Sorry to be a pain, but that's 3 out of 3 systems installed and Registry not being updated on any of them. If it turns out to be my error, you will have my sincerest apologies.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

gadasch

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01 August 2002 :  09:47:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More information for you...

In an attempt to rule out the possibility of Operator Error/Stupidity mentioned above, I removed PA 2.1.1. Then I downloaded and installed your old PA version 1.2 from your Web site.

Ahto, version 1.2 works properly. Settings are remembered from one session to the next, as one would expect.

I then uninstalled 1.2 and reinstalled 2.1.1. Back to the same problem. The new version is not properly updating the Registry on exit.

Unless I am missing something, this (plus my previous research) pretty much isolates the problem to a bug in version 2.1.1.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

gadasch

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04 August 2002 :  11:29:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahto, okay I have now established definitively and conclusively that the problem is with Password Agent. Let me tell you what I just did:

My daughter's computer (a 3-year-old Dell Dimension) just came home from college for a tune-up before the new school year begins. I am upgrading memory, HDD, operating system, and other software.

I completed the hardware changes (including a new 80-GB HDD and 320MB of RAM) and then installed a brand new clean copy of Windows XP Pro (clean install, not an upgrade). So this is a fresh-out-of-the-box Windows XP with only minimal personalization (e.g., mouse and folder defaults, Start Menu preferences, disabling default screen saver, etc.). No other software installed yet. No users ever logged on except Administrator.

I then installed Password Agent Lite 2.1.1 using all the defaults in Setup. Did NOT enter my serial number. Closed PA and checked Registry with Regedit, location:
HKCU\Software\Moon Software\Password Agent\2.0\Settings
This key exists, but nothing in it except (default) REG_SZ (value not set) entry.

Brought over a copy of my PWA file from the other system and put it on Administrator's desktop. Started PA, opened the PWA file, changed two switches in Tools\Options\General1, moved the PA window to the lower part of my screen. Did a File\Save and closed PA. Launched PA again. Came up with a blank PA window in default screen location (not where I left it) and switches in General1 reset to their defaults.

Checked the Registry again. Nothing had changed in Registry key except the addition of one value/data pair: LastOpenDir REG_SZ C:Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop. No other information in the entire Moon Software branch. Closed PA for a third time. Checked Registry again, no change. Moon Software branch empty except for LastOpenDir.

Ahto, with this test I have now absolutely ruled out any possibility of registry corruption, problems with permissions, viruses, non-routine background services, conflicts with any software other than default vanilla Windows XP Pro and XP-supplied device drivers. The problem is in PA itself.

Sorry to be a squeaky wheel, but had to convince you the problem was in PA not on my system(s). Here the PA Registry updates have now failed on three different computers and four different instances of Windows 2000 and XP. My conclusion is that you should be readily able to reproduce the problem there.

If I can give you any further help, please do not hesitate.

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 04 August 2002 :  12:03:02  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
gadasch,

Thanks to your continious efforts with this matter. I found the problem and it is PA that does not save settings. This only happens when you choose Exit from tray menu or File menu. It does not happen when you close the program using its X button, when Windows closes the application or when you close the program any other way.

This simple case shows very well that to solve a problem tech supports needs as detailed step-by-step instructions as one can provide (even one thinks it is silly to provide this info). Since there are different ways to accomplish tasks, the problem may be only associated with one certain path or even on certain sequence of operations. Of course I'm not blaming you but just to give idea to another readers who may ask for support in the future.

The problem occurs only with few latest builds since I changed some program exit code lately . I'll post fix later today.

Thanks again!

Ahto

Go to Top of Page

gadasch

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 04 August 2002 :  13:08:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're great, Ahto! Thanks for the excellent support!

Gary
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2002 :  06:18:31  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The 2.1.2 update is now available. I recommend that all users install this new version.

Ahto

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000