Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shorefisher

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 25 September 2006 :  23:45:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read the help screens.
I took some guesses.
Didn't do what I thought it would.
So I would appreciate remedial cookbook assistance.

TASK: Click on the link and open a password protected excel sheet
with the password automatically filled in by Password Agent.

I guessed that the TEMPLATE should be set up as $PASSWORD{ENTER} to tell it what to do. I see no place to put the value of the password.

I haven't a clue what a "global hot key" is, but it is supposed to be on the "hot keys tab" under "program options". Beats me where to find that.

This is easy, Right?

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2006 :  13:25:40  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Password Agent does not fill the password fully automatically for you after clicking the link. If Excel window will show up it will ask you for the password. You then place your cursor into the password box like you want to start typing there, then press global shortcut key which in turn tells Password Agent to send your password into that place, saving you typing.

Gobal shortcut key is a combination of keyboard buttons you use to initiate autofill into selected text box. By default it is Ctrl+Shift+A.
Go to Top of Page

shorefisher

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2006 :  16:45:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK,
Getting closer (I didn't say I was smart).
Did I get the template value right?
How does Password Agent find out the password value to send? ... I type it somewhere I suppose. I haven't found that field.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 26 September 2006 :  18:26:08  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Did I get the template value right?

This template you made works OK, but it does not send your user ID. If you use default template, you can send only password if you press Ctrl+Shift+S keyboard shortcut, even if template is different.

quote:
How does Password Agent find out the password value to send?

In Password Agent you first make entries as required, then you select right entry first, then Password Agent fills user ID/password or any other info from selected entry to the location you selected. Password Agent always fills info from *selected* entry.
Go to Top of Page

shorefisher

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2006 :  16:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still don't understand how Password agent knows what values to use for the password. Don't I have to tell it? Or does it just use the same password I used to open the Password Agent .pwa file? If I do have to tell it, then where do I do that?
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 29 September 2006 :  20:26:44  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you read the documentation?

Password Agent is a small database. You first save your login information by creating entries. You can save any other type of information besides login information, but that is different topic. For an entry you tell what user ID and password to use. Then, to autofill, you'll need first to select right entry in Password Agent, then Password Agent knows you want to autofill user ID and/or password from that entry. That is how it knows - you select the right one first.

For example if you want to store your Amazon account info, you make a new entry titled Amazon (choose Entry | New Account from menu in Password Agent).

Now you see new entry window on screen. In the Title field write "Amazon".

In the User ID field of the entry you write your e-mail address as Amazon uses that as user ID.

In the Password field you write your Amazon password.

As Amazon typically uses non-standard login form where you need to press 2 times TAB key to jump from e-mail to password box, you'll need also to modify your autofill template.

Press Advanced button to see whole New Entry form. Now Template field is also visible. Modify it to:

$USERID{TAB 2}$PASSWORD

When you press OK new entry titled Amazon will be created in the group you selected (you can make groups to group your entries for easier overview). Now select this entry, switch to your web browser, open Amazon web page whre you log in. Then place input cursor into e-mail address field by clicking it with the mouse. Now press Password Agent global shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+A, that tells Password Agent to transfer your info into your web browser, to location where text input cursor was. If all is well you see your e-mail address and password fille automatically, you'll only need to press Sign In button.

As other example, we make new password entry for Excel table. Make a new entry as in previous example, but in Title field write "Excel" (actually you can write anything, it is just for you).

In the Password field write your Excel file access password.

Now also extend the New Entry window by pressing Advanced button and change template to:

$PASSWORD{ENTER}

Press OK to save the entry. Make sure this new Excel entry is selected (new entries are selected automatically, otherwise you need tos elect it by clicking with the mouse). Switch to Excel and open your file that asks for password, password prompt is displayed on screen. Make sure cursor is blinking in the password entry box, if not, click it with the mouse. Press Password Agent global shortcut key Ctrl+Shift+A, and, if you made no mistake, you password will be transferred to Enxel and Enter key is also presses automatically so you don't need to press OK manually (specified by template), so Excel should open your file.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000