Backup Magic
 incremental backups
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tomaste

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2002 :  10:22:59  Show Profile  Visit tomaste's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If I use a variable folder in the "copy to" field, incremental backups do not work. A full backup is performed every time.

Is there a way to get this to work?

Thanks

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  09:28:52  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please clarify, what variables exactly did you use.

Ahto

Go to Top of Page

tomaste

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  10:49:35  Show Profile  Visit tomaste's Homepage  Reply with Quote
D:\backups\%YYYY%-%MM%-%DD%\%HH%.%NN%.%SS%

for example,

If I backup c:\www (including subfolders) to
D:\backups\%YYYY%-%MM%-%DD%\%HH%.%NN%.%SS%

It should create a new folder with the date, then under that another new folder with the time, then a copy of c:\www

If I change one file in c:\www and then re-run the backup, it should create a new folder under today's date with the new time and only one file changed. Instead, it created a new folder with the current time, and does another complete backup.

Thanks for your help!

Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  11:23:44  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

If I change one file in c:\www and then re-run the backup, it should create a new folder under today's date with the new time and only one file changed. Instead, it created a new folder with the current time, and does another complete backup.

Sorry but this is completely legal. Since in the new folder it creates, there are no files, it will copy all. If you want to keep files by date, then you should use *archive attribute* to detect changed files (see Settings tab). Only that way you can get right results. That is the same when you copy files to a floppy but want to copy only modified files. Since there are no old files on floppy, there is no way to detect which files are changed, except by archive attribute.

Ahto

Go to Top of Page

tomaste

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 31 July 2002 :  11:30:20  Show Profile  Visit tomaste's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great, I will try this with the "Archive attribute" to see if it will work.

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000