New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HighLord

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2002 :  00:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

what is the preferred way of invoking a link in NON-DEFAULT browser from the Password Agent program?

My situation is as follows: I use Opera as my default browser but have to access some password protected sites (Inet banking, etc.) from MS IExploder. I tried to enter the intuitive: "iexplore.exe https://explorer.only.site.com" into the link field. Unfortunately Password Agent does not like this (although it has no problems to invoke "iexplore.exe" without any arguments).

My "quick & dirty" solution currently is to create a bat file for each web site that needs to be accessed from IE, something like:

rem file ie_mail.yahoo.com.bat
start iexplore htttp://mail.yahoo.com
(eof)

and then enter the bat file name into the link field of Password Agent. This is a very cumbersome process and I would like the program itself to allow me to run programs (not neccessarily iexplore.exe) with arguments from the link field... (e.g. "java -jar myapp.jar arg")

Any comments/ideas are welcome.

Cheers,

HL

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2002 :  06:25:11  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, there is no way to invoke non-default browser. I could basically add this feature but there are few questions:

1) I think that most people use one browser
2) This should then be entry-specific, since you can "launch" a lot more from PA than just web links, you can launch programs, documents etc.

Conclusion: considering that most people don't need this functionality and it will add some "bloat" to the program I doubt it will be useful.

But most probably next release will support "iexplore.exe https://explorer.only.site.com" link/command line. Thanks for your suggestion.

Ahto

Go to Top of Page

HighLord

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 30 July 2002 :  09:52:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Conclusion: considering that most people don't need this functionality and it will add some "bloat" to the program I doubt it will be useful.

I don't really see any reason for "bloat". I would just add an additional checkbox (yes, on a per-entry basis) - something like "External application" or whatever. Then when the checkmark is unchecked, use your current invocation mechanism; when the checkbox is checked, take the "Link" field and pass it to "CreateProcess" Win32 function (and don't care about parsing the line, let windows take care of that) that will either succeed or fail.

What's wrong with this scenario?

Cheers,

HL
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 05 August 2002 :  06:21:15  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New version 2.1.2 is now online. This should cure the executable problem. You can use "iexplore.exe " kind of links. For programs unknown to system you may still need to provide full path to the executable file.

Ahto

Go to Top of Page

HighLord

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 06 August 2002 :  23:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

New version 2.1.2 is now online. This should cure the executable problem. You can use "iexplore.exe " kind of links. For programs unknown to system you may still need to provide full path to the executable file.

thank you very much! This is exactly what I needed.

Cheers,

HL

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000