New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Scott

55 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2006 :  02:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just installed the slew of updates from today's Black Tuesday for WinXP (April 11, 2006). Now, FileTargets doesn't even appear in the context menu anymore.

I don't know if this is a coincidence. Just an FYI, in case others report the same thing.

I did try unregistering/registering Targets.dll, but it didn't work. Very strange.

I am not looking for support...

TheDreamer

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2006 :  04:48:39  Show Profile  Visit TheDreamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yep....happened to me too....I'm sad....

Guess I shouldn't have upgraded both my computers....
Go to Top of Page

Scott

55 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2006 :  09:59:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've since noticed some new registry values. Specifically, "Blocked" and "Cached" values under "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions"

I have no doubt that's what broke FileTargets. Authors probably have to pay royalties to get their shell extensions to work. (Joking.)
Go to Top of Page

Karl

2 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2006 :  16:53:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott- I checked those Registry entries you mentioned. I didn't have any in Blocked but there were a lot of Cached entries. Any tips on sorting through those and finding any related to FileTargets? I wonder if it's as simple as adding a Cached entry to Approved and then removing it from Cached?
Go to Top of Page

Scott

55 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2006 :  21:07:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I knew. I have no idea what those new values and entries are. I also suspect--though I am not sure and have not checked--that Microsoft, in typical fashion, hasn't documented it.

I also have no Blocked, but lots of Cached, values. As you've probably noticed, the data shown therein is unreadable.

I have no idea how to make FileTargets work, nor why it stopped working in the first place. Reinstalling FileTargets does no good either. I don't know what mechanism or criteria is at work in disabling it...

Quite aggravating, given the fact that there are no decent alternatives to FileTarget available.

Sorry... If I figure something out, I'll share it. Everyone else, please do the same.

Edited by - Scott on 12 April 2006 21:09:04
Go to Top of Page

Scott

55 Posts

Posted - 12 April 2006 :  21:23:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are corresponding keys/values under HKLM:

quote:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions

FileTargets is automatically added under the Approved key upon installation though. So, this doesn't help, but I wanted to mention it.

I've tried using Sysinternals Filemon to track what keys and values are being looked at to decide what shell extentions to load, but I can't see anything different between what is done for FileTargets and another shell extension I use that does still work (and is quite old), PropertiesPlus.
Go to Top of Page

TheDreamer

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 13 April 2006 :  06:34:04  Show Profile  Visit TheDreamer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I've found messages on broadbandreports and Google Groups regarding MS06-015 (KB908531)'s introduction of verclsid.exe.

See http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15875820 or http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_thread/thread/c364bf44f135d5b1/caa2c760b7ade4e0

I tried renaming away this executable...and instantly the FileTargets menu reappeared.

Though I don't know if that's a good thing or not....

The Dreamer
Go to Top of Page

Scott

55 Posts

Posted - 13 April 2006 :  11:07:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a good thing that the shellex reappeared, but it may have security implications. Or, maybe not. Microsoft's doc sucks. I have no idea what that EXE is really doing. Thanks for the info, though.
Go to Top of Page

Karl

2 Posts

Posted - 13 April 2006 :  17:46:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, check out: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/ms06-015.mspx
Looks like one of those last security holes impacted the shell context menus. Probably wouldn't be the best idea to circumvent that verclsid file. Strange that it was just my File Targets that got zapped, but not Winrar, etc.
Go to Top of Page

lryman2000

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 15 April 2006 :  16:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good News I found a program that appears to be a great filetargets clone. the name of the program is Context Magic v1.1.b5 and the url is: http://www.contextmagic.com/ Check it out and let everyone else know how it worked out for you.
Go to Top of Page

lardboy

2 Posts

Posted - 15 April 2006 :  19:10:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice try byt unfortunately context magic is currently useless as you can't add custom destinations in the current version.
Go to Top of Page

lardboy

2 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2006 :  11:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Problem solved -

Following instructions found here -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918165

I added the following to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached

{26E892A0-76A2-11D0-AF20-444553540000}{000214E8-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 0x401

Set value to 1 now filetargets works.

(NOTE - the article says the value is {000214E6- I had to us E8 the same as an entry already in there.)

{26E892A0-76A2-11D0-AF20-444553540000} - This is the CLSID for filetargets it is already approved on my system but still didn't work but now it does, enjoy
Go to Top of Page

hlewton

3 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2006 :  14:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried your suggestion and it didn't work. I can't figure out how to change that E8 back to E6 to try that.

Edited by - hlewton on 16 April 2006 17:21:47
Go to Top of Page

brucebinder

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2006 :  18:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also was not able to get this to work. Frustrating. Help. I love this tool!!
Go to Top of Page

Scott

55 Posts

Posted - 16 April 2006 :  21:35:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lardboy's advice worked for me, though I worked through it myself before reading his whole post--I just went by the Microsoft article.

Don't copy and paste the string lardboy posted. There is a space that needs to be in the value you create.

I've created a REG file that will take care of this for you. You can download this REG file, which is enclosed in a ZIP archive, from here:

http://snipurl.com/FixFT

If you want to do it manually instead, here is what I did:

1. Went to this registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Shell Extensions\Cached

2. Created a new DWORD value under the key mentioned above, named as follows:
{26E892A0-76A2-11D0-AF20-444553540000} {000214E8-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} 0x401

3. Double clicked the new value and set it to 1. This step is necessary.
Go to Top of Page

kaminariko

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2006 :  03:23:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to say thanks to Scott and Lardboy and anyone else who spent the time and effort tracking down the specific problem with the registry.

It took care of another WinXP annoyance...MS seems to be good at that.
Go to Top of Page

danodino

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2006 :  05:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I followed lardboy's lead and it fixed 'file targets' for me. I did add the space Scott mentioned and I did use E8 instead of E6 in the value. Thanks, folks!

Dan
Go to Top of Page

Mikow

1 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2006 :  06:38:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just to say THANKS! for the fix.

I came to the forum thinking to post news of this problem (I'd figured out that it seemed to result from the 908531 update), and instead I found a solution (other than uninstalling the updates). Thanks for finding a way to keep this truly essential piece of freeware humming along despite the vagaries of Microsoft's updates.
Go to Top of Page

hlewton

3 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2006 :  18:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scott,

Thank you so much. It all works now.

hlewton
Go to Top of Page

TerryM

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 17 April 2006 :  21:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It Worked///It Works...

All this seems to have happened about the same time...MS Updates, ya think?

Anyway, thanks Scot

And I didn't even have to reboot!
Go to Top of Page

Xennon

4 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2006 :  05:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not related to FileTargets, but I notice that CopyURL is also broken. I've uninstalled 908531 and got back FileTargets and other extensions that vanished, but for some wierd reason I can't get CopyURL back.

Anyone else having problems with CopyURL or have a solution? ... I tried the same trick by adding the registry entry into the HKLM cached area and saw that it was already in the approved section but still can't get it to show up on the menu at all. Reinstalling does nothing either.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

55 Posts

Posted - 19 April 2006 :  11:58:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xennon

This is not related to FileTargets, but I notice that CopyURL is also broken.

I started a new thread for you here:

http://moonsoftware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=484
Go to Top of Page

lryman2000

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2006 :  03:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You Win Scott!!
Go to Top of Page

Scott

55 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2006 :  06:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lryman2000

You Win Scott!!

I don't know what you mean.
Go to Top of Page

lryman2000

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2006 :  05:25:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just saying thanks scott.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

55 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2006 :  11:55:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lryman2000

I was just saying thanks scott.

Ah, OK--you're welcome! Sorry, it has been a tough week!
Go to Top of Page

gina.g

1 Posts

Posted - 21 April 2006 :  18:31:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted the thank you very much for the registry fix, I have become far too reliant on FileTargets for my own good! Excellent little program, thank you.

Gina
Go to Top of Page

Timemark

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 22 April 2006 :  01:31:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help! I use File Target second only to the Start switch!
I took the advice on the verclcid file only took a shortcut instead of messing with the registry.

From the file name I gathered it's just another MS verification of legal copies -- so I searched for the file VERCLCID.EXE, found 5 and deleted them all. FileTargets immediately reappeared in the context menu. I crossed my fingers - rebooted to see if there was any reprocussion with Windows and it loaded with no problem.

Jim Conway

Edited by - Timemark on 22 April 2006 03:20:06
Go to Top of Page

Bob Schuchman

1 Posts

Posted - 23 April 2006 :  00:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to add my thanks for the Registry fix. It appears that there might be a space needed between the two bracketed items. I noticed that the File Targets name was shorter than another name in the Cached key, so I added it. Whether it's needed or not, it looks better.

Anyway it works and like others have said, Targets is one of the extensions I really rely on.

Thanks, Scott.
Go to Top of Page

hdancer

1 Posts

Posted - 26 April 2006 :  12:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Scott! Sleuthing work.
Go to Top of Page

EzPcWiZaRd

1 Posts

Posted - 28 April 2006 :  09:43:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You the man scott
Ilovemoonsoftware filetargets it is the best iam hooked!

thanks for the fix

now they can make an update...hint hint...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000