Backup Magic
 BM makes backup of unchanged files to DVD
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

raven

3 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2005 :  13:41:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After many days of experimenting with your settings, I couldn't get BM to work properly in mirror mode. It continued to copy files to my DVD (I use InCD) which were not changed.

On another topic in this forum I read about the same problem but then not to DVD but from NFTS to Fat32. So I thought maybe the NFTS creates problems. I changed my NFTS hard drive to Fat32 and this solved the problem. BM backs up to my DVD using InCD without problem.

Is there a change you can modify BM so it does backup from a NFTS drive properly?

Thanks

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 12 January 2005 :  16:17:30  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you read help file topic "Solving problems > Problem: files are copied even they are not changed"?

If these suggestions won't work, you can use archive attributes option, this will work but has some limitations (you have to know what you are doing, otherwise some of your files may be ignored).
Go to Top of Page

raven

3 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2005 :  14:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've read it and tried them all. I want to use mirror mode so the archive attributes option doesn't work.

For me the problem is solved because I changed my hard drive to FAT32 in stead of NFTS and I just wanted to let you and other user's know about this solution.

All I want to know is why does it work with a FAT32 formatted hard drive and not with a NFTS formatted hard drive. And do you have a solution for it?
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2005 :  15:05:34  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I tested with the InCD and seems there is a bug in Backup Magic that makes it to update more files than required, on some cases. I'll try to post the fix soon.

The reason why problems arise with NTFS file system is that when file is copied from NTFS to another type of partition that does not support so precise file modification times (like FAT etc), file modification time in destination will be slightly different (even 1-2 seconds on some cases).
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 14 January 2005 :  23:58:41  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I released version 1.6.6 that should take care of this problem and also fixes another known bugs.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Bobroff

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2005 :  03:49:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possibly another variant of this issue.

Using BM 1.6.7 on Win2000

Daily I use BM to backup MainServer to TestServer. Works fine, only altered files are copied.

Daily I use BM to backup TestServer to separate Monday, Tuesday etc CDs or DVDs. Wrongly copies all files every day.

Cant use the archive flag as that would stop the new files going on to other daily disks.

Have tried "Update last modification time" and widening the tolerance to 100 (seconds).

Have I missed something?
Are there any new developments on this front.

Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 09 June 2005 :  10:32:25  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What (packet) CD-writing software do you use to write the CDs?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Bobroff

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2005 :  04:30:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Packet software is Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.3.5.10
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 10 June 2005 :  10:07:31  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can compare last modified dates of files on CD/DVD and in your source folder. Some software improperly resets file modified date to current date when copying to CD.
You can also try InCD software from Nero, that is confirmed to work.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Bobroff

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 16 June 2005 :  03:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ahto, for your prompt and useful reply.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Bobroff

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2005 :  05:35:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ahto,
I have just run a test using BM to copy (incremental, dont update mod times, FileTimeMaxDifference=5 )
from a Win2000 directory to a CD RW using Roxio DirectCD.

Using a file manager I can see that the Modified times on the hard disk and on the CD RW are identical to the second,
yet BM still copies all the files unnecessarily. Backing up to a hard drive even on another computer always works.

I can't quite understand the problem. I can see the Modified times are identical, why can't BM?
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 17 June 2005 :  10:41:01  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Please send your backup set file, your system information (in Backup magic editor, Help | Copy System Info) and your InCD version number to our support e-mail.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Bobroff

Australia
5 Posts

Posted - 23 June 2005 :  03:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have installed BM 1.6.7, and everything works perfectly when backing up to the DVD RW drive with Roxio Direct CD. Thank you for you prompt support.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000