Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

nkyadav

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2005 :  01:16:27  Show Profile  Visit nkyadav's Homepage
I would agree about it being time to learn programming - except I don't particularly care to at the moment - I find it drudgery at best.

however, I was not jibing at you, and in fact, I have supported your venture for quit some time - but not being able to easily port this to Linux makes it a lot harder for me in the long run - yes, I suppose I could develop a way to use it in Linux, and perhaps Wine support has gotten a lot better, which I will not be able to test for several days, but in the meantime I am basically screwed without an alternative.

I agree also that you it is good to make money off a product and your hard work, but as *I* am the one that is changing then *I* am the one that needs to find a new solution - I simply do not agree with the business model used by Microsoft anymore, and the bloated software that I have to use - It is ridiculous when a computer that is running at 2.2 GHz with 1 GB of RAM still takes well over 2.5 minutes to fully boot in Windows and less than 30 seconds from power on to login in Linux - and it is a lot cheaper to obtain software legally, *and* with its hands on approach it puts me squarely back in the drivers seat.

I know you don't want to hear my rationalizations, but this is personal to me - and until I am anywhere near a level where I can figure out how to port Windows apps to Linux I am obviously not going to buy your source - but if there comes a time anytime soon, then .... It would be worth it for me in the long run.

I applaud your efforts and the products that you have developed, and do not blame you one bit for targeting the majority out there - after all, you stand to make more money from software that most people will use as opposed to targeting a particular segment of society, usually.

And I am not completely leaving Windows yet, and will quite possibly keep a Windows XP Virtual machine running for support purposes....
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1058 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2005 :  12:29:34  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage
I agree about bloatware, but actually MS has less bloatware applications than most other well known companies, like Symantec or Apple. And see what Apple does -- they force you to install iTunes 5 to get QuickTime 7 player upgrade. This is very bad practice and made me to remove both QuickTime and iTunes completely from my system.

The recommendation to learn programming was not to fool you, it is just the only way one will get the program he really wants. And it is not as difficult as it may sound.
Go to Top of Page

nkyadav

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 24 October 2005 :  23:04:15  Show Profile  Visit nkyadav's Homepage
Oh I have to agree with you whole heartedly regarding the bloat of Symantec and Apple. With Symantec in particular, I was using Symantec AV corporate (a provision in the site license at work allows employees to install the clients on their home machines to get updated definitions when we VPN to the server) - but it was eating almost 220 MB of memory because of all the crap that was running - I finally decided to stop using the company's free offer and purchased NOD32 - it uses 32 MB Memory and my computer is almost doubly responsive -0 and this on a P4 2.0(A) GHz (Northwood CPU) with 512 KB L2 Cache and 1.0 GB dual channel PC2100 DDR RAM. It is amazing - Windows takes a full 97 seconds less to boot to login, and after login I have a fully working Desktop with all my apps loaded in 56 less seconds, giving me a total time saved of over almost 2.5 minutes.

Regarding the Apples - heh, you have to know where to look to get QT without iTunes.

Try this link: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html

But my overall problem is that with Windows there is no 'slimming' down of it easily - I cannot rebuild the NTkernel to suit *my* machine only, instead it is pre-built to search all the time for hardware and let it make the decisions on what will be used and what will to - I prefer to have the control myself, hence my move now to Linux after having used Windows for too many year to even bother counting anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1058 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2005 :  02:47:29  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage
My Windows XP machines are not that bad after some work. I use classic interface and have disabled many services that are not needed. Perhaps I only have about 20 processes running in task manager list, plus a few applications. Only 2 icons in system tray. Many programs bloat user machines by silently installing unnecessary services (iTunes 5 will install 2 services) and ATI display driver will also install 2 services that are generally not needed etc etc. Also, many new computers are already pre-loaded with crap when new from factory! My IBM Thinkpad had over 40 processes running... That means a new computer is already "poisoned" in factory and must be completely re-installed to get it right.

Thanks for the QuickTime link. It would be interesting to know whether this standalone version 7 has been available from day one or thay made it because of hate mail. ;)
Go to Top of Page

nkyadav

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2005 :  11:14:26  Show Profile  Visit nkyadav's Homepage
I have taken it a step further - I have created a custom XP install that installs the Windows to one partition and Documents and Settings and Program Files to another. Further more, it not only keeps certain services from starting, it even prevents them from installing in the first place.

However, being a 'latest and greatest' kinda guy, I also tend to test a lot of software, and I install gobs of software for testing purposes, especially in terms of Anti-Malware software. That and always upgrading to the 'latest' version keeps me on my toes (and my registry quite messy).

RE: the Quicktime installer - yes, it was there from the beginning - because the last version 6 that had iTunes embedded also had this standalone ver 6.

However, I don't even bother with QT anymore - I use VLC instead.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1058 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2005 :  11:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage
For testing out new stuff without bloating my system I use Microsoft Virtual PC (some use similar program WMWare). Previously I used separate lower end testing PC but now I have found that Virtual PC is much more convenient, although not that fast.
Go to Top of Page

nkyadav

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 25 October 2005 :  21:22:05  Show Profile  Visit nkyadav's Homepage
I was toying with that idea as well, but the machine that I have is rather limited on resources (even with 1 GB of dual channel RAM, as my mobo only supports UDMA5 and no SATA.

I have VMWare for Linux and will probably run XP from inside Linux when I make the final move over.
Go to Top of Page

johnkdavis

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 15 December 2005 :  02:52:36  Show Profile  Visit johnkdavis's Homepage
I am a new Password Agent user. I love it and will likely fully commit to the application once a Pocket PC version is available. I use an SD Plus (with USB) with my PDA and it would be oh so convenient to load Password Agent onto the card and slip it into the PDA's expansion slot. Even now I would have the application available when a PC was available, but I use the PDA to surf the Internet a lot and having Password Agent running on the device would be perfect.

If you can give me a feel for your progress on this part of the project, I would appreciate it. I would also be happy to assist in beta testing the product when you are ready for feedback.

Best wishes,

John K. Davis, Technology Coach
Go to Top of Page

PRDIGM

1 Posts

Posted - 01 January 2006 :  16:10:38  Show Profile
Good I await the release of a PDA verion with great eagerness.,
Go to Top of Page

sean0connor

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 26 January 2006 :  14:24:46  Show Profile  Visit sean0connor's Homepage
Yes Please, A PDA Verison would be very handy. Any ETA as I am currently needing to look at alternatives(would be a shame)
Go to Top of Page

tgusmer

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 28 February 2006 :  06:19:11  Show Profile
Add me to the list of wanting a PDA version. I'm running a WM5 smartphone - Verizon's XV6700... and BTW love it so far.

Great Product. Have been using it for several years and recommend it to my students.

Other minor feature request: allow the auto backup path to accept UNC paths.

Thanks again,
Ted
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1058 Posts

Posted - 01 March 2006 :  21:36:22  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage
Why you can't use UNC paths, it should be possible?
Go to Top of Page

johnkdavis

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 14 March 2006 :  21:47:08  Show Profile  Visit johnkdavis's Homepage
I purchased a new smartphone and can no longer wait for a Password Agent version for Windows Mobile 5. I want you to know, Ahto, that I really love Password Agent and use it for many purposes. I don't want to get a new application, but I'll be using the smartphone a lot (I purchased unlimited Internet GPRS and WiFi service for $29.99 a month and I will be using Skype and surfing website all day long) and I have so many complicated passwords now that I have been using Password Agent that I have no choice--I cannot manage all of this information any other way!

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

phonejill

6 Posts

Posted - 15 March 2006 :  23:43:43  Show Profile
I'm a big fan of the software - I paid for it as soon as I began using the free version about 4 years ago (I NEVER feel that strongly about shareware). Have paid for upgrades. Ahto, you don't seem to be in this for the money necessarily, but I WILL GLADLY PAY for a PocketPC version to work in harmony with my desktop version. Since your time seems to be constrained, why don't you find a fellow developer to do the work and let him earn a portion of the proceeds from the sales? Judging from the volume of responders to this list, and their passionate pleas, I'm sure plenty of us would commit in advance to making the purchases.

BTW - For those who didn't realize it, you can export the PW Agent data to CSV, open it Excel and then save it as a pw-protected file that can sync to your PPC. Not convenient, but better than nothing portable!
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1058 Posts

Posted - 20 March 2006 :  17:08:02  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage
It is not easy to find people who do good work, so I'll need to do it myself. But it will be available, although delayed.
Go to Top of Page

phonejill

6 Posts

Posted - 02 July 2006 :  07:09:36  Show Profile
Ahto, just wanted to let you know we're still holding out hope for PWAgentMobile!

I found I was half-wrong in my last posting about using Excel passwords. Since upgrading to a SmartPhone with the current version of Windows Mobile 5.0 and "Excel Mobile" I found that it does NOT support passwords like the older "Pocket Excel" did. So now I am very as I have no secure solution for my Pocket PC.

Keep up the good work (only faster please!),
PhoneJill
Go to Top of Page

Hutchy

2 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2006 :  00:53:33  Show Profile
LOL!!! Ditto to all of the above positive coments. I love my Password Agent. I have a paid version (and I don't usually part with money for somethinglike this) because I can't live without it!! I have a new Palm LifeDrive and want Password Agent for Palm and I want it now!!! Please? Please, please, please? No pressure, of course, but please??? this is what youget for writing a truly fine product.
Go to Top of Page

Hutchy

2 Posts

Posted - 15 July 2006 :  01:00:26  Show Profile
And while I'm at it, who can tell me why there are so many icons above my first post and how I can restrict permissions there, please? Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

phonejill

6 Posts

Posted - 02 October 2006 :  18:54:42  Show Profile
Yep, me again.
Waiting as the months tick by (now October is here!)

Ahto, any sense of the TIMELINE for a way to move my PA data securely to my Pocket PC?
Go to Top of Page

kdmoyers

7 Posts

Posted - 03 October 2006 :  22:29:11  Show Profile
FWIW, I think Ahto is working on his Font program first, as earlier comittted, and then working on PA.

If Ahto is like most shareware authors, he has an actual day job and a family and other responsibilities, and fits the software product in as best he can.

Although waiting for PA makes me C C R R A A Z Z Y Y, I'm guessing all we can do is be encouraging and supportive. And that's easy since I sincerely doubt Ahto is doing anything less than his level best. And people work fastest when they feel good about their task.

Besides, I've tried everything else, and 2 year old PA still beats em all. And when Ahto adds the new stuff, it will be even better.

If I had a burning need for some critical feature, like mobile handheld compatibility, I'd look to switch to something else (there are many) for the short term, and come back when/if Ahto can add the feature.

For people of a more geeky nature, I recommend adding a program called autohotkey. It's a hot key program backed by a simple programming language. Using it, you can add features to other programs, like PA, by automating their normal behaviors. It's fairly geeky though and won't help a bit with the mobile problem.

Just my $0.02
-Kirby
Go to Top of Page

JNLM

1 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2006 :  17:07:51  Show Profile
As a somewhat newer user of PA, add me to the list of those wanting a mobile version for my iPAQ. PA is a really great program and I use it for other confidential information such as ATM, Credit Card and other pin numbers, etc. And having the ability to sync this info with my PDA would be fantastic.
Go to Top of Page

cbuck1

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 November 2006 :  19:51:21  Show Profile  Visit cbuck1's Homepage
Ahto,

I'm new to this forum but have been a paid user since 2001 and love Password Agent. I, too, look forward to the mobile version, but would like to request one more thing: could you make the account properties window resizable? I find the Note field to be too small for many of my entries. If I could maximize the window or adjust the size of the Note field, it would help greatly.

Thanks,

Craig
Go to Top of Page

oracledba

24 Posts

Posted - 03 November 2006 :  18:08:28  Show Profile
cbuck1 said
"could you make the account properties window resizable? "

Huh? maybe I don't understand as it is already.
Highlight any entry and do a ctrl-e to edit.
This brings up the account properties window.
move mouse to very edge of lower right hand corner.
Mouse turns to double headed arrow, stretch to desired size.
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1058 Posts

Posted - 04 November 2006 :  02:09:13  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage
Yes, the entry properties window is actually resizeable in current version. Seems cbuck1 may have an old verison in use?
Go to Top of Page

vincentw

1 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2007 :  18:19:39  Show Profile
Do you intend to support password agent on blackberry?
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1058 Posts

Posted - 12 February 2007 :  19:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage
PDA version will be for Windows Mobile OS.
Go to Top of Page

phonejill

6 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2007 :  18:42:32  Show Profile
Ahto, congratulations on your release of version 2.5 - it looks great.

Does this mean PW Agent now goes to the bottom of the list of apps getting your attention? Or, can we still expect a Windows Mobile version to happen in the next couple of months?
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1058 Posts

Posted - 10 March 2007 :  19:18:00  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage
Sorry, no PDA version in near future.
Go to Top of Page

phonejill

6 Posts

Posted - 29 June 2007 :  18:55:50  Show Profile
So now that it's almost July are we far enough past the 'near future' to start hoping to see a PDA version?

The squeaky wheel hoping to get greased,
Jamie
Go to Top of Page

ketas

Estonia
3 Posts

Posted - 28 September 2007 :  16:33:54  Show Profile
I'm wondering, if it's possible to write version of PWA in Java (ME, actually), so it can be used in all sorts of handheld devices?
I, personally have Symbian S60 3rd device that I'm interested to use to run it.

Or it's still required to make several versions of it for each platform? Much harder to manage I guess?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000