Transfering set up
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alan

2 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  11:30:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
I am moving to a new PC. I want to be able to carry across all my setting from Fontxplorer, saving me having to do it all over again (hours of work!). Any advice welcome......asap!

cheers

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  12:53:10  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you do mean program options and such settings, not fonts, then you can easily transfer them using Help | Save Settings to File command. This will export the registry key where FX settings are stored to a disk file (*.reg). Copy this file to your new PC and then double-click on it to merge the settings from the file back to the registry.

If you want to transfer your fonts, you'll need to copy the folders containing fonts to the new PC.
Go to Top of Page

Alan

2 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  16:44:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ahto:
can I ask a little bit more.
1)Should I have fontxplorer installed on the new machine before I merge the .reg file?
2)The installed fonts on the new machine will be initially different to the old machine and path locations will be different (I am moving from Win98 to XP). Will this have any effect?
3)Will the 'Save settings to file' save my favourites?
4)How should I appraoch moving Fontloader (this will be affected by path details won't it?)

thanks again
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2003 :  17:15:00  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
1)Should I have fontxplorer installed on the new machine before I merge the .reg file?

No matter, but you should NOT have it running when you merge the reg file.
quote:
2)The installed fonts on the new machine will be initially different to the old machine and path locations will be different (I am moving from Win98 to XP). Will this have any effect?

If you have managed your fonts smart way and kept them in separate folder, like D:\Fonts, should should not encounter any problems with transferring them to another PC just by copying the folder and its subfolders. Fonts used by Windows and preinstalled fonts will remain in system fonts folder. Font Xplorer Knowledge base has some info on how you can manage fonts: forum.asp?FORUM_ID=21
quote:
3)Will the 'Save settings to file' save my favourites?

The command will transfer all settings you have changed/specified in FX, including favorites. But if fonts in your new system reside in different folders, your favorites will not work and you'll need to redefine them.
quote:
4)How should I appraoch moving Fontloader (this will be affected by path details won't it?)

This should be done by just installing it on the new PC, then pointing it to your fonts folder like you did in your first PC.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000