Multi-file passphrase caching
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeffmadison

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  02:11:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like to keep my work-related passwords in one file and my personal in another (mainly because I want to keep my personal stuff on both my home and work computers but my work stuff only on my work computer). So I'm always switching back and forth between these two files. Even though both files have the same passphrase, I have to reenter it each time I switch.

It would be wonderful if Password Agent would try to open the new file using the passphrase of the currently open file. If it fails, it prompts just as it does today. But if it succeeds, it opens the file without prompting you at all.

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  13:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
All I can suggest is that use only one file and keep all your stuff in one file. Put work entries into a separate group.
Go to Top of Page

jeffmadison

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2003 :  23:15:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't do that because my company's security policy won't let me copy a file containing work passwords onto my home computer. So I still need two files.

I posted this not so much to get suggestions for a workaround, but rather as an enhancement request for some future release. In the meantime, I'll just have to retype the passphrase several times a day.
Go to Top of Page

nkyadav

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  20:51:11  Show Profile  Visit nkyadav's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffmadison

I can't do that because my company's security policy won't let me copy a file containing work passwords onto my home computer. So I still need two files.

I posted this not so much to get suggestions for a workaround, but rather as an enhancement request for some future release. In the meantime, I'll just have to retype the passphrase several times a day.

An alternative would be to export your home file to XML and import it to the work file - so the work computer has *both* sets of passwords, and possibly in different directories, whereas the home file has only your personal passwords.

Think that would work?
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2003 :  23:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
An alternative would be to export your home file to XML and import it to the work file - so the work computer has *both* sets of passwords, and possibly in different directories, whereas the home file has only your personal passwords.

Why use XML when you can import another PWA file directly? And XML import is not currently supportted, only export.
Go to Top of Page

jeffmadison

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05 June 2003 :  03:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I suppose I could do that, but I'd still like to request a future enhancement for the passphrase caching I originally suggested. If you get to it, great. If not, I'll still survive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000