Backup Magic
 Disk spanning suggestion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PrayingMantis

1 Posts

Posted - 20 April 2003 :  13:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure how hard this would be to implement, but a feature that I am looking for (and have yet to find) in a program is multiple disk spanning with direct file copy (without any proprietary backup formats). If the program could somehow rearrange the files to fit onto multiple disks to maximize their usable space (and obviously it doesn't have to be perfect it would be extremely useful. To have the ability to only copy to one disk at the moment seems a bit limiting. I have many large folders with multiple subdirs that exceed a single DVD which I need to back up - to tag everything separately is a huge headache. I would use a proprietary backup program to do so but I'd like quick access to the files without a full restore.

Anyhow I think it'd be a great feature to have some kind of simplistic disk spanning if you could work it in.

Thanks,
Chris

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 26 April 2003 :  01:05:49  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see no way implementing spanning using plain file copy that way it would be practical. You may run it once, but later when you want to do incremental backup, the program needs somehow to keep track what files are on what disks, file sizes etc.
Go to Top of Page

Alt

1 Posts

Posted - 06 March 2006 :  05:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Instead of errors tho can't it turn the archive bit for those already copied, so I can run bm again with a blank disk inserted, and have it pick up the files missed on the first passes?
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 12 March 2006 :  12:49:13  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"Use archive attributes" option is already present for that purpose.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000