Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Discussion Forums
 Font Xplorer
 re: How can I reduce the number of fonts?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AngieKuhn

1 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2003 :  04:57:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Font Xplorer Experts,
How can I reduce the number of fonts in my Windows/fonts folder and still have them available to use in programs? Do I uninstall or unload them? Will I still be able to view them after they are uninstalled/unloaded? Thanks,
Angie

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 09 April 2003 :  18:03:01  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First you need to understand what is the difference between loading and installing. Loading means the font is available some short time and after you restart Windows, it is not available any more until you load it manually again. Installing a font means it will be always available, even after you restart Windows. It does not matter if the font is on Windows/Fonts folder or somewhere else, if you install it it will be available next time you restart Windows as well. When installing, font name reference it written to the registry, so the system will load this font automatically.

But some versions of Windows will automatically scan Windows/Fonts folder and will install install all fonts that are in that folder each time Windows is started. That also means you can't just uninstall fonts that are there, you'll need to move font files to some other folder if you don't want Windows to automatically install them next time it starts.

I have written a separate document about this topic:

topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=136
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000