Enhancement requests
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeffmadison

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05 March 2003 :  04:06:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

• Have PA automatically detect when you've opened a URL in your browser that has a corresponding entry in PA and ask if you want to automatically log on. I.e., so you don't have to open PA, search for the entry, and hit AutoFill. It would be slick to notify the user via a balloon pop-up on the tray icon, something like "This web page is in your Password Agent. Click here to automatically log on."

• Add an Email field (since most sites require an email address, too)

• Allow adding any number of user-defined fields (not just one big blob in the Notes field). Probably on a second tab with a scroll bar.

• Allow those user-defined fields to be used in AutoFill

• Command to have PA parse the FORM fields of a web page. Probably need to prompt the user to find out which one corresponds to User and which to Password. The rest can become new user-defined fields.

• AutoFill shouldn't require your cursor to be on the correct form field. PA should be able to put the cursor into the first field automatically. Requires the ability for the user to tell PA which fieldname on the FORM to start in. (Somewhat related to previous item).

• When adding a new entry in PA, have a button that copies the URL from the top-most browser.

• Make it open source and donation-ware. Seriously, this might actually increase your revenue since people would be able to customize it themselves if they really wanted to and, more importantly, people would know for sure there were no backdoors. I know I've sent money to open-source developers on sourceforge.com who list their paypal.com account. The only reason I haven't purchased PA is because there is an open-source competitor with a similar feature set whose code I can audit myself. Sure, many people will use it without donating, but if you have 10 times as many people using it because it's open source, those who do donate might end up getting you more revenue than you get now for your "closed source" full version.

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 05 March 2003 :  13:38:55  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Jeff and thanks for your detailed post. Most requests about intelligently detecting web sites etc are already in todo list and probably some onf them will be realized in next major version. But this can pretty much work in one browser only (IE). Please note the current system works basically with any other software (not only browser) because it is not integrated. But I have my own thoughts about (optional) integration with IE in the future.

About e-mail address, most sites use it as user ID, so you can add your mail addresses to User IDs list to easily pick one when creating a new entry.

About donation-ware or open-source I can't agree with you. I make living with my software. I have had free donationware utilities in the past and can tell you that I made total 10 bucks with one of them! It had no nags, was freeware, but had clause that "if you find it useful please send me $10". Yes, people found it useful, but eventually did not send any money because the program had no restrictions. It is easier to send money nowadays, electronically, but people are still the same (mostly)...

Do you find it easier to dig in source code (you did not write) yourself, for each new release again and again, or just listen me when I say that my software has no backdoors, and relax? This is discussed in our Privacy Policy (http://www.moonsoftware.com/privacy.asp).

Go to Top of Page

jeffmadison

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05 March 2003 :  18:08:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear you're considering adding some tighter IE integration. That first one I mentioned would be terrific. Any idea when some of these features might be released?

I guess I assumed that since I always pay for good shareware/donationware, that many others did, too. It's a sad commentary on modern society that it's so rare. Sounds like your current sales model is best after all.

Regarding opensource, the comfort actually comes more from auditing the code for security-related defects (e.g., forgetting to overwrite memory that once stored passwords so they don't get written to the swapfile, etc.) than true backdoors, which are easily detected and defeated by a simple firewall (to prevent a bad program from sending info to a server).

By the way, you've got a great product here, and I appreciate how responsive you are on your forums. I really look forward to the next release of PA!
Go to Top of Page

Ahto/Moon Software
Developer

Estonia
1141 Posts

Posted - 05 March 2003 :  22:44:22  Show Profile  Visit Ahto/Moon Software's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The question "when the next version will be released" is already answered somewhere on this forum. I just don't know because there are some other things that need to be done between :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000