Moon Software Forum
Moon Software Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Discussion Forums
 Backup Magic
 can Backup magic handle...

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
srushing Posted - 02 August 2006 : 16:56:21
I just stumbled across Backup Magic which might fit the bill for something I need. I have a series of computers that I need to backup a specific directory and all its contents nightly to a server. Basically it's a disaster recovery backup type function. I see there's a server version, which sounds like it will do this. but how does it handle the directories on the server end? meaning, if I have 10 computers where I'm backing up c:\mydata\*.* do I have to, when I create the backup script, specify each computer to go into it's own separate directory or will the software automatically know that this is machine 2 so prefix the directory paths with machine 2? i guess the question is do I have to say "copy from \\machine1\mydata to \\server\machine1\mydata, or will it allow me to specify a directory to move and then I specify a series of machines to run on.

Second question is concurrency. Will it run more than one copy (or job) at a time? If I have a couple machines that are slow and on slow network connections, if it just does things serially, it will take longer than if it can run jobs at the same time, copying from 2 or 3 machines at the same time, into different directories.

Thanks and I hope someone's watching this board.

S
1   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 12 August 2006 : 20:33:44
First I'm sorry to reply so late.

quote:
i guess the question is do I have to say "copy from \\machine1\mydata to \\server\machine1\mydata, or will it allow me to specify a directory to move and then I specify a series of machines to run on.
Basically you make a list of instructions that shows source and destiction.

from "\\machine1\data" to "c:\backup\machine1\data"
from "\\machine2\data" to "c:\backup\machine2\data"
from "\\machine3\something" to "c:\backup\machine3\something"
etc

quote:
Will it run more than one copy (or job) at a time?
No, but you can start multiple instances of Backup Magic with different scripts.

Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000