Moon Software Forum
Moon Software Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Discussion Forums
 Password Agent
 PA on Windows 8 phone

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
steven smith Posted - 14 April 2015 : 14:53:35
Just got a Nokia Lumia 635 with Windows Phone 8.1 with a Snapdragon 400. For $48 it seemed to be a great deal after comparing performance of the 400 vs the Chinese 8 core phones on eBay for $66.

Still maybe should have gone for Android as you don't mention supporting Windows Phone on PA 3.0 and BOINC has no plans to develop WP 8.1 version either.

My questions as I really want my password agent accessible on the phone and DO NOT want to upload my password data anywhere in the cloud, EVER.

1) will you port to Snapdragon Windows Phone 8.1?

2) If not do you know of an emulator/virtual machine that could run PA 2.6.3 on WP 8.1 (no, not Word Perfect 8.1)?
(MS released an ARM MS-DOS Mobile Version 1.0 but the visible file system is odd as if it is virtual but haven't tried a developer unlock of the phone yet. Still, it's not an emulator and wouldn't provide a virtual x86 environment for PA, if PA would run on DOS. I just noticed that it actually has Windows 3.1 with Progman and some simple programs that make calls to WP 8.1 apps)

3) Can Android 4.2+ be installed on the Lumia 635? (Probably a good chance of bricking the phone)

4)Is there a WP 8.1 password manager product that reads your database?

5)Can we export our password data to a format that another product can read? (I see a Print and Export Wizard and it supports XML output but not sure what WP 8.1 password agent app would accept that or HTML/CSV input)

6)Is there a WP 8.1 password agent product you recommend?

Thanks for creating a great product that has served me well since 2009.
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
steven smith Posted - 15 April 2015 : 08:53:40
I downloaded all the available password managers from the Windows Apps store (about 18) and 3 allow import/export and only 1 has a x86 client. That one supports CSV import (possibly XML).

I'll try and export from PA in XML and CSV and import to those three but I doubt the database fields will import properly.

The phone is a gift from gf so there is no politically acceptable way to be seen with another phone instead of her gift.

I read that mamaich (who ported the x86 Heroes of Might and Magic to WPhone) started working on an x86 emulator for WPhone for Snapdragon CPU's. He focused on Windows RT but abandoned it after a year of work.

quote:
The project is not dead, I just had no time to continue the development.

The source code on github: https://github.com/MakiseKurisu/Win86emu

His MSI installer is on Google drive:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B25hIeyRmniUUW5yUlc4ZHl5OHc&usp=sharing

Since PA is a standard Windows output API, I wonder if his emulator would already work on PA in the BETA 0.061 version? Probably need a a lot more work to get to an XAP from his MIS to get his code loaded on developer unlocked WP 8.1 phone.

Looks like he was trying to get Fallout 2 to run under Windows RT

quote:
I may return to this project some years later if MS would make Windows RT more developers-friendly, but I'd start from scratch as now I have ideas on better implementation.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2095934&page=40

I'll look into running Android apps under emulation on WP 8.1 too. I read that MS might be developing that ability but no matter how much users are screaming for x86 backward compatibility for Win 10 ARM devices MS is resisting for the sake of the App Store ecosystem
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 14 April 2015 : 15:54:01
Hello Steven,

At the moment seems that there will be no Windows Phone version, at least in closer future. There will be Android and iOS apps in addition to Windows desktop version.

If you really want to use Windows Phone then you likely will find some password managers in Windows Store. Perhaps some can import from XML or CSV text format that PA can export. However it will be much easier if you use the same program for both desktop and mobile, so you don't need convert your data all the time which will likely also cause some data loss as programs are not 100% compatible with each other.

If you want Android then perhaps you can get a cheap Android phone. There are plenty of them around, also tablets.

I don't have recommendations of other password manager apps as I only use Password Agent myself. :)

Ahto

Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000