Moon Software Forum
Moon Software Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Discussion Forums
 Backup Magic
 Backing up unchanged files, tried all solutions

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kcwdad Posted - 31 August 2003 : 21:56:08
Hello,

I've read all the help files and forum entries I can find around the problem of BM (1.6.4) always backing up files that have not been modified. My setup:

- I need to mirror a particular 55GB directory, cannot increment
- From NTFS (XP) to FAT32 network drive (W98)
- BM wants to back up most or all 55GB each time, even when BM is run twice in a row with no intervening changes to files

I have tried:

- Settings: update last modification time of destination files
- Manually changed max time difference to 5, then 10, then 125
- Cannot use archive attributes because this must be a mirror operations (must delete outdated files on destination that are deleted at source)

I know it's technically possible to detect that files are the same across NTFS and FAT32--Tarylynn software correctly identifies only changed files, but lacks the automation and flexibility of BM.

Are there other approaches/workarounds I can try? This issue is a showstopper for our organization.

Thanks
2   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kcwdad Posted - 02 September 2003 : 18:39:17
I e-mailed you system info dump from Help (nice feature). To answer your questions below:

- Files are mp3's, zip's and exe's

- "Huge is relative". Most MP3's between 3-6MB, zip's & exe's 1-3MB. But I will soon have 100+MB files to backup--will this be a problem?

Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 01 September 2003 : 01:32:58
Sorry to hear this. After incorporating workaround for this NTFS vs FAT32 issue in recent BM versions I don't remember having received any such complains, so I don't have any glue why it does not work on your case.

You can try to make your backup temporarily to a target that is in the same computer and see if the problem is solved. Just change drive in your existing backup set, leave everything else intact.

Are your files special? Are they huge or named unusually? Have you sent your system info from Help | Copy System Info to our support e-mail?

Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000