Moon Software Forum
Moon Software Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Discussion Forums
 Backup Magic
 Copiaris - mirror drive, run DEFRAG and shutdown

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
jasonbrianmerrill Posted - 09 December 2014 : 20:12:27
...to do a few things.

First an introduction (Skip to questions below if you want)
------------------------------------------------------------

I loved backup magic. Great product, and Copiaris is even better. It is the ONLY backup software which does what I need it to.

I am somewhat obsessed with backup. When I first got a Pentium 200mhz MMX in 1999, I was amazed that I was able to record into it and save my ideas.

That all came crashing down when the hdd failed and I lost everything. Since then, I have backed everything up. Obsessively.

I have my main hard drives, and they mirror to other partitions on other hdds in my computer, which then either upload stuff automatically to the cloud through dropbox or also get backed up to a networked pc (or two.) Also, I have external drives. MY most important stuff (pictures, ideas, music) are backed up 4 times in one location, and offsite as well.

Anyway, I want to REALLY make sure I'm doing this right.

---------------------------------------------------
end of introduction

1. ---- One thing I really want to do, is to be able to defragment (using windows standard utility) all of my hard drives after a backup is complete. Would be nice to also have it shutdown afterwards but I am not sure if that could be triggered to work right.

2. ---- another thing - I think my settings aren't quite right. Let's say I have drive C and drive D. On FIRST backup, I want drive C to totally mirror itself to drive D, wiping out ANYTHING on drive D. That sounds like a mirror to me.

On all subsequent backups, I want drive C to mirror itself to drive D, but to SKIP all of the files that are already there. I don't want it to recopy EVERY file. Just the new or changed ones.

Right now, I have a script doing the wrong thing I think. Drive "D" is on a network share, which is about 300mbps (powerline). It seems like it's recopying EVERYTHING and of course I do not want this. What setting do I not have right? It is also possible that maybe the drive was cleared by something else but I want to make sure that I'm not putting in the script wrong.

I want to have all of my backup scripts like this. I can't do incremental versioning because I would run out of space.

I deal with audio/video/images and this can get pretty huge. I'm looking for the best way to manage it. I know copiaris is the right tool, but I am admittedly not as well versed in using it ;)

thank you for any help.

3   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 26 December 2015 : 21:51:40
When you add new "Start process" task then select it in tasks list at left. Then at right you see properties of the selected task at right panel. There is also "Process" property where you need to assign command line you want to run.
jasonbrianmerrill Posted - 24 December 2015 : 18:38:28
If you add new "Start process" task then select it and you see property "Process" at right size. You need to assign name of the executable you want to run to this property.
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 12 December 2014 : 19:55:02
Jason,

This can be done with Copiaris quite easily. Note that in this example I use D:\Test as destination and C:\Test source as make first test to/from a directory, not drive root, and if everything works as expected only then switch to full drive. Mirroring to drive root DELETES ALL FILES that do not exist in source.

Basically you create new script file, it has copy task already inserted. You set "Copy to" task property "Destination directory" to D:\Test and property "Action" to "Mirror". Then select "Copy from" task and in "Source directories" property specify C:\Test. Now add new "Start process" task to the end of tasks list. Select it and set property "Process" to "DEFRAG /C /H /M" and you can also set property "Windows state" to "Minimized", then Defrag command prompt window will be minimized. This command line defrags all local disks with high priority. For Defrag to work you need to start the script with elevated (admin) rights. For this select "Script" at left and select property "Run elevated" to "Yes". You can also set property "When finished then" to "Shut down computer". Enable this when your script really works as expected.

You can email me to support address and I can send you this script file.

As a bonus, this all can be done from command line that is passed to copiaris executable, without creating script file:

Elevate=Yes EndAction=Shutdown /DEST Action=Mirror DestDir=D:\Test /SRC SourceDir=C:\Test /PROC ProcName="DEFRAG /C /H /M" Window=minimized

Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000