Moon Software Forum
Moon Software Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Discussion Forums
 Password Agent
 Password Agent 2.6 released

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 14 October 2009 : 02:08:50
I decided to extend life of current verison 2 with this free update that contains the following updates:

NEW: Windows 7 compatible
NEW: Unlock and Set Master Password windows where you enter master password are doing some additional work behind the scenes to combat spy programs and key loggers. The password you type is not recorded by key loggers in plain text as it was typed. Instead, Password Agent will generate random characters after each key press, so it is more difficult to detect real password that you entered. However, as it is not possible to hide keyboard input from key logging programs your real typed characters will still be captured by logger (among fake ones), so if logger can record several password entries over time, real master password can be discovered after some analysis. Edit box for master password does not have ES_PASSWORD style, it does not allow copy & paste and does not give away your real typed password in response to WM_GETTEXT message.
NEW: With each failed attempt to open data file with invalid password open procedure will be delayed by additional 3 seconds. So after trying to open the file with wrong password for 10th time you’ll need to wait 30 seconds until you can try again. Even if you close the program between attempts the delay will not be reset. It will be reset if you restart Windows.
NEW: If wrong password has been entered more than 2 times before file is finally opened with correct password, you’ll see message box telling you that someone has tried to get access to your file. This feature only records attempts that are made on local computer since start of current Windows session.
NEW: QuickSearch options button on toolbar allows you to select which fields QuickSearch searches. By default it only searches Title field (like in previous versions) but you can new also search User ID, Password, Link and Note fields (any combination). You can also display the options menu via Ctrl+Alt+Q keyboard shortcut.
NEW: Added Copy Link command into Entry menu and conext menu.
NEW: Option "Show full data file path in Unlock window", default value is "yes". Previously only filename without path was displayed in Unlock window, so if you prefer that simpler look you can un-select this option.
NEW: Pressing keyboard keys when list is focused jumps to first entry starting with this letter and now scolls list so found item is topmost entry in the list, not at bottom.
NEW: Shows error message when trying to import data file into itself.
NEW: Shows warning when trying to save user ID or password that contains curly brackets ({ or }) as these symbols are used for autofill variables and these break autofill.
NEW: Link field supports $USERID and $PASSWORD variables. When CopyLink or Open Link command is invoked, variables will be replaced with real ID and password values. Test Link button in Item Properties window does not support variables. This feature is not official and is not documented.
CHANGE: Find / Find Next commands moved from Tools menu to Entry menu.
CHANGE: Added field names to printout and fields are now separated by |, double quotes around fields values are removed.
UPDATE: When entering key code on Vista/7 now more detailed help text will appear if user does not have admin privileges due to Windows UAC (User Account Control).
UPDATE: Help | Copy System Info command now contains more information about new operating systems.
UPDATE: Updated documentation about new features and replaced screenshots with hi-color ones.
FIX: All labels in Entry Properties window now look nice with large fonts.

The news is not yet live site-wide but Password Agent download link returns version 2.6.

Please let me know about any issues.
22   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 14 June 2016 : 09:31:29
Version 2016:

Autofill is still there plus new more automated "autofill matching item". Only there is no toolbar button, you invoke it via global keyboard shortcut.
Yes, you can run without install even better than before as now settings are in INI file instead of registry, so you can take your settings with you as well.
Please read the documentation about what is new and how to use the program.
Dominik Adler Posted - 14 June 2016 : 09:20:20
Just simple questions
- where is "autofill" function? Only in licenced version?
- last version was running without install - is this possible with the new one?

If you will start Android version, I'll pay again :)
neptune Posted - 27 December 2009 : 03:47:39
Using the ESC key is a nice work around. I keep trying to remember to only hit the minimize button, but somehow keep hitting the close button. I have gone back to using version 2.5.1 for the time being.
cgazsc Posted - 27 December 2009 : 03:40:21
Instead of closing PWA, hit the Esc key. This will close to SysTray and not mess with the Windows use of the Close icon.
neptune Posted - 27 December 2009 : 03:34:23
I like all your updates, except one. The Close to system tray functionality was a very important option. I can't tell you how many times I go launch Password Agent from the system tray only to find I have to bring up my desktop and restart the application with the new 2.6 versions. That was a very important feature. Please consider restoring it in the next version.
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 23 November 2009 : 16:23:41
quote:
On one XP machine I cannot log in, continue getting message for wrong password even though I know is not true. Possible worm/virus?!?

If you have version 2.6.1 (or newer), did you take time you read the error message text about your invalid password? It explains that this can happen due to new anti key logger function and there is instruction on how to disable this function. Help file also helps, see opening password file topic.

If anyone has continuous problem logging in with their valid password then open program options (Tools | Options) and change "Master password input box type" option under Security section to "Custom without key logger prevention" or "Classic". See help file for more information. Press F1 in master password window to see help topic about this.
Dean123 Posted - 23 November 2009 : 16:05:10
On one XP machine I cannot log in, continue getting message for wrong password even though I know is not true. Possible worm/virus?!? I do not know but forced reset of admin password for PC. Now should I be worried about PWA? Have been unsuccessful in logging in to PWA but my master password rejected several times. Not certain what PWA version but downloaded 2.61 on laptop. Will installation of 2.61 on possible infected PC be dangerous?

Longtime customer and not sure how I would make it without this program. Too many passwords to remember all, thank you for this program ;-)
cgazsc Posted - 22 November 2009 : 20:06:22
Esc does a "close to system tray" just fine.
kentlink Posted - 22 November 2009 : 19:44:25
quote:
Originally posted by rado

quote:

I prefer Close To System Tray also. How about making it optional then?

Well of course - it was optional. Why remove it then? Lots of programs have this feature.

I agree. Many of the tools that reside in the system tray use the close to tray behavior, in fact most of them that I work with do.

Think about the virus checkers,in fact, think of Microsoft's own network utility. Many of these can only be exited, if at all, by right clicking on the icon in the tray and choosing exit.

With system trays, I think of closing the window as closing a part of the application, not the entire application. I think of resources in the system tray to be separate from the windows that they can project.

Please return this functionality.
rado Posted - 16 November 2009 : 00:54:31
quote:

Well of course - it was optional. Why remove it then? Lots of programs have this feature.
rado Posted - 16 November 2009 : 00:52:07

Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 10 November 2009 : 11:21:39
No plans to add it back. It was a bad idea to change behaviour of standard close button in the first place.
Pathfinder Posted - 10 November 2009 : 04:23:10
Can it be put back?

Its hard for this old dog to learn new tricks..I keep closing the program...thanks
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 10 November 2009 : 01:01:51
Yes, this option was removed (mentioned in version history).
Pathfinder Posted - 10 November 2009 : 00:57:58
Close to system tray gone in new version?
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 07 November 2009 : 22:14:57
Thanks, this information is useful. When I release 2.6.1, probably tomorrow, I'll update help file about how these options differ from each other.
cgazsc Posted - 07 November 2009 : 20:09:00
Further testing reveals that the option "Custom without keylogging protection" works as well as "Clasic" in my particular use.
cgazsc Posted - 07 November 2009 : 19:59:19
Works for me! Thanks.
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 07 November 2009 : 19:39:30
quote:
It seems the MPW field is blocked for automatic input. So far I haven't found a way to turn off this added security, which I don't need at home.

I'm working on 2.6.1 update that adds option to turn this new key logger prevention funciton off. If possible try this new build (.exe only) and let me know. You'll need to change the master password input box type under global program options (Tools | Options | Security), choose "classic" type. This can also be overridden in the unlock window using new Options button but that setting is not saved, it is for one time override only.

However, I started thinking that some 3rd party software may want to read window title to reckognize the window. In 2.6 window title was removed from Unlock window to prevent key loggers from reading it. This may be also the reason your shortcuts software does not work any more. There is no plan to add window title back. So if this new build does not work then you'll need to keep using 2.5.1.

Please let me know ASAP, thanks.
cgazsc Posted - 03 November 2009 : 07:54:51
I installed 2.6 but I for one am having a serious problem with all the keylogger protection. You see, I have CTS badly in both hands and have difficulty typing, so I try very hard to keep it to a minimum. I use "HotKeys" to help in that endeavor. Since PWA began, I could use a "hotkey" combo to enter my master PW. No more. It seems the MPW field is blocked for automatic input. So far I haven't found a way to turn off this added security, which I don't need at home. I'm only interested in keeping the kids out of my passwords to credit cards and such, not hacking IT professionals. Do I have to revert to 2.51(forever?) or is there a way to calm PWA down a bit that I've not found?
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 28 October 2009 : 04:56:55
I now advertised the new verison site-widely. The file (build 1800) is also somewhat modified from the one that was available for the past 2 weeks, including some updates for Windows 7, so I suggest to update to this official version. Check for Update does not tell you that update is available if you already have older 2.6 so download it manually.
tsturgeon Posted - 19 October 2009 : 23:24:50
Upgrade worked great. Thanks for the new version!

Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000