Moon Software Forum
Moon Software Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Discussion Forums
 Freeware
 Shell Tools installer does nothing

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Daniel Beardsmore Posted - 20 March 2009 : 03:04:14
I wanted to reinstall FontLoader on my new PC, but I've been thwarted by the need for a password.

So I've downloaded ShellTools 1.0.1 -- but the install does nothing. OK, it installs all the binaries and puts lots of stuff in the Registry, but there's no control panel and FontLoader isn't loading. Uninstall, reinstall, install 1.1.0RC1, uninstall, log out, log in.

Check Shexview, nothing new mapped to .ttf. Process Explorer ... no open handles with "moon" in the path, no addons by Moon Software that are inadvertently disabled. Check TweakUI -- no hiding control panel.

Finally, I've realised -- not only do you have to ENABLE something you've already told the installer to install (!) but by "control panel" you mean a program in All Programs and not a .cpl applet :P

Great program, but, very confusing!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
zmartha Posted - 06 April 2009 : 20:13:14
Never mind, I found it by right click on a
blank space in a folder.
zmartha Posted - 06 April 2009 : 20:10:01
I just installed your Shell Tools, but the one I really
would like does not show on context menu: Show Hidden Files.
I have used FileNote for years and love it. I am now using
XP Pro 3 bit, does that make a difference? FielNote and
CopyFileName appeared. Please help.
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 01 April 2009 : 01:06:03
Ok, thanks. Seems both the phrase "control panel" and installation must be addressed in the next version. :)
Martin Miller Posted - 31 March 2009 : 23:18:36
I really hate to complain about free software, but I'd have to agree with Daniel about all this. I just wasted a fair amount of time trying to figure out why installing this software didn't appear to do anything.

Unlike many users, I almost always *do* read the documentation first, if I know there is some and where it is -- I didn't even realize that a new program had been added to my Program Files menu (and not a new Control Panel item).

Fortunately, I decided to look at the web site's Forums before contacting the author to report a problem.

It's hard say whether the most misleading thing was the web page indicating that a new Control Panel would be installed for configuring the utility or the fact that nothing was enabled by default...

Anyway, that my 2 cents.

-Martin
Daniel Beardsmore Posted - 21 March 2009 : 01:34:50
This I know, which is why I did the custom install.

It's you who decided that we must be forced to install the whole lot as one big package. So then I have to Custom Install to trim out all the bits that I know will just clutter up my context menu. Except I guess you feel that no-one then is going to bother to Custom Install, so then you need another layer of selectivity for those people who missed it the first time around!

It's just that I understand what custom installation is for, so it's not remotely obvious that there's a whole other layer of custom installation that I need to go into afterwards.

For anyone who seriously needs to switch shell extensions on and off, then NirSoft's shexview is wonderful for that.
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 20 March 2009 : 14:12:30
quote:
it's generally extra plugins that you activate later

Shell extensions are basically Windows plug-ins. Typical user will install with default settings, that means all. If all these are also activated then it just bloats user systems. That is the reason.
Daniel Beardsmore Posted - 20 March 2009 : 04:39:17
Reading documentation is generally reserved for tasks which are obviously special and whose behaviour and outcome cannot be predicted from existing common knowledge and convention. Generally, installation is not one of these cases -- if I install something, I expect it to install!

If I install a "Control panel", I expect to find it under Control Panel.

I need to read documentation to tell me that it's not really a Control Panel control panel, and that install didn't actually install anything? :P

I don't understand what's gained by having to go back in and activate what I've already specifically selected to install (given that I did a custom install and chose ONLY Control Panel, docs, Fresh Icons and FontLoader). I don't know of any precedent in Windows for this approach -- it's generally extra plugins that you activate later, e.g. Pidgin installs lots of plugins anyway (you can't choose) and you have to manually activate them from within Pidgin. If I could select these during install, I'd expect them to be running when I launch it :)
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 20 March 2009 : 03:27:08
Reading documentation helps.

I see that the fact that extensions are not enabled by default is confusing and will try to make this more clear in final 1.1 version.

Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000