Moon Software Forum
Moon Software Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Discussion Forums
 Password Agent
 PA in Wine

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
nkyadav Posted - 13 August 2004 : 23:25:45
A noted problem of using PA in Wine is this:

When you enter your registration information the top menu bar (File, etc) becomes unusable.

As I have over 200 entries, I have to register lol - but I was wondering what in entering the registration causes this sort of behavior (other than the fact the enter registration info button disappears....)
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
gandad Posted - 24 March 2017 : 21:11:12
Been using version 2016.10.10 for a couple of months (system as set out in previous post). The display has small text in the drop-down menus and I can't shift a 'can't find file' message on start up permanently, or use caps lock on master password entry without obscuring the entry box itself - but these are no just a couple of clicks to deal with. The only significant issue is that autofill doesn't work, though 'open link' both starts the default browser and brings up the the site and page for you to login with copy & paste.

All in all, this version does everything I want and is a big step forward in both security and function. Can't wait for iPad compatibility!
luisaestrada Posted - 21 March 2017 : 18:48:13
Well, I'm bad! Bad, bad, bad! I have not advertised it to work on Linux! With or without emulators!
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 31 December 2016 : 20:30:32
Hello!

You can install/use new version and find it out. It does not overwrite your previous installation. You can open your old data file in read-only mode (default) when trying out. Make backup of you data file, just in case. You can run old and new versions side by side but if you modify data in new version the files becomes unredable to old version.

Ahto
gandad Posted - 31 December 2016 : 19:00:31
Now more of a footnote than solution, perhaps, but....

I have been using Password Agent since 1999, first on Windows 98, but for the past six years or so on Linux: currently Password Agent 2.6.3 on Linux Mint 17 Mate, kernel 3.13.0-24 and Wine 1.8. All PA versions have run perfectly under several different 'buntu and wine combinations,and at full speed (Wine is not an emulator!). If anyone is still interested, try a more recent version of Linux, an Ubuntu- or Debian-based distribution, perhaps.

Now though, I have problem: version 3. I want to continue with Password Agent if at all possible. It's a great program that suits me perfectly and my files now hold many passwords and lots of history and additional data, too. So, does anyone know if version 3 will run run on my system following the complete re-write? If not, can I try an install of v.3 alongside v.2 without overwriting it or the data files, or must I first remove them then reinstall them if I find v. 3 won't run properly?

I will have to accept lower security or migrate to a different manager if v.3 won't run. Are there any comparable managers the data file can be exported to, anyway? I haven't found one yet, mainly because they are all so browser-integrated.
nkyadav Posted - 20 August 2004 : 08:34:01
ROTF - actually, yer damn good - which is why I want to keep using the bugger...

There are a lot of drawbacks thus far - I am unable to use the kb shortcuts, but I am *very* reluctant to use another program in Linux (and I understand that there are several) because of the fact of having to maintain the various files and synchonizing them....

I know you did not *advertise* it, but it would be nice nonetheless....

without discussing the methodology of hte registration process, I wonder if I install the lite version an then copy my registered verion over if it will work....who knows? Then I may not lose the menu system as I am not registering directly inside of wine but simply copyig over my registered version from the windwos side of things.

I'll give it a shot and let you know mor(BUt I still wish you'd port it over - Hell, I'd even buy it *again* just for the Linux port.

On a side note, there was a discussion a while back about the possibility of synchronization, and you mentioned a good idea or two yourself, such as online sync ability (such as a mini FT Pdaemon) - that on the backburner now?
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 19 August 2004 : 17:29:21
Well, I'm bad! Bad, bad, bad! I have not advertised it to work on Linux! With or without emulators!
nkyadav Posted - 18 August 2004 : 04:10:47
I have m answer, I think - I didn't realize that an entire menu disappears - the Upgrade meu - and this seems to be causing the problem (I tried to get wine to import a .reg file with my registration info in it but Ican't figure out how to work that either.... yet).

I realize, Ahto, that this is probably asking a lot for one user, but would it be possible to have the upgrade menu be a sub-menu of anohter menu, say help, so that it would not delete the entire menu?

Just curious - mainly a design change as opposed to functionality change, and since you have committed to PDA - friendly releases I realize that that will probably take up most of your time - but I like PA too much to try to switch to any other product, so I am hoping....

Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000