Moon Software Forum
Moon Software Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Discussion Forums
 Password Agent
 Need opinions about a new feature

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 18 March 2003 : 18:43:09
I'm currently working with a Password Agent update that can prepare a USB flash disk (or any other removable drive) so it can keep your Password Agent program on the disk and you can carry it with you. Currently when you run PA on someone else's computer (where key code is not entered), it will start up as Lite version. Then key code is also kept on the disk, so you can have access to the full program everywhere.

This will be a new tool in the File menu. It allows you to specify target disk and select the following options: copy data file, copy program file, copy help file, copy key code.

Also, when the program runs off a removable disk, it will not save settings (options, position etc) automatically. This is to protect target computer when someone may have his own settings or just to protect the computer from junk settings in the registry. There is special command for saving settings in the Tools menu, if you really need to do this. So the program will start up with default settings when used with someone else's computer.

Another improvement associated with this is when the program runs off a removable drive, it will automatically load PWA file that resides in the same folder. If there are more than one PWA files there, it will display Open File common dialog pointed to that folder.

If anyone has any comments or ideas about this, please share them. If you want to carry the program with you everywhere, let me know your needs. Post your thoughts here or e-mail me.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Disposable_Hero Posted - 25 March 2003 : 02:31:24
This would be very useful to me
jeffmadison Posted - 22 March 2003 : 01:40:42
I, too, think this is a great feature. I've seen this on some other program and thought "I hope Ahto adds this to Password Agent!"

Just to make sure, though, inserting the USB drive (or whatever) would not affect the host computer's hard drive (including the Registry) at all, right? And the account info stored in PA's memory shouldn't be written to the swap file (PGP somehow avoids this, too). Once you unplug the drive, it should be impossible to tell it had even been inserted. Otherwise, I'd be too afraid to plug it into somebody else's computer, especially one at, say, a library or Internet cafe.
gyre Posted - 20 March 2003 : 16:43:47
As a person who uses a USB memory card to carry his personal data between machines... I love it :)

-- gyre --
Ahto/Moon Software Posted - 20 March 2003 : 01:46:27
I think it is useful for everyone who just wants to carry his data file between office and home computers. He can also include the program on the disk so it does not need to be installed in office computer. No need for "large setting".

The Palm version will come later.
gihrig Posted - 19 March 2003 : 23:49:26
Ahto,

This sounds like a feature that would only be useful in large settings with many computers having the same type of flash card or removable drive.

Given that sort of environment, this feature would make PA a sort of "mega smart card", which sounds very cool technically. However, in my experience, the need for password information when I am away from my personal computer is limited to one or just a few sites, so it would be more useful to have a full feaured PA version running on my Palm handheld. Of course I would loose the ability to have login fields auto filled, but for one login it's just not worth installing PA, even though it is extemely simple to do.

Best Regards,

-Glen

Moon Software Forum © Copyright 1996-2011 Moon Software Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000